Arthritis or something else?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Butch_2021
New Cat Chatter

Arthritis or something else?

Post by Butch_2021 »

Hi, all!

I am a new member here, but I was reading some forum posts from cat owners that were very insightful, and I am hoping that some of you can lend your thoughts to the situation with my cat Butch.

Butch is a tabby cat who adopted us almost 10 years ago after his owner at the time partially declawed him and Butch subsequently refused to be an indoor cat any longer. He provided for himself until he started to befriend me and my parents. Eventually, he moved into our house and we were allowed to keep him. He has always been athletic and physically strong, until about a month ago.

We noticed that his right back leg was lagging behind after he woke up from a nap one afternoon. We initially thought it was just the result of a good nap, but it continued. He used to jump onto our counters and drink water from the faucet, but he stopped making the jump. Shortly after, he would just sit down after walking a short distance. We then went to the vet.

Two weeks ago, the vet put him on gabapentin and onsior. He responded well and got a lot of energy back but our onsior ran out and he took a turn. Now both of his legs have this collapsing issue, and he struggles to even jump on our couch. The vet diagnosed him with arthritis which could partially be seen from his x-ray. However, I've noticed he does not react negatively to any touching or massaging in those effected areas which causes me to think that something else is going on. He still stretches often (almost as if he is trying to heal himself) and appears happy and healthy otherwise. Perhaps he is recovering from a fall or something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Arthritis or something else?

Post by fjm »

It does sound as if it could be arthritis, possibly exacerbated by jumping and landing awkwardly. I assume from your mention of declawing that you are in the States - if you were in the UK the standard treatment would be daily metacam, but I don't think it is approved for long term treatment in the US. I would put him back on the pain killers, which seem to have worked, and think about adapting your home where possible with ramps, steps, food and perhaps a water fountain at his height, etc.
Butch_2021
New Cat Chatter

Re: Arthritis or something else?

Post by Butch_2021 »

fjm wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:20 am It does sound as if it could be arthritis, possibly exacerbated by jumping and landing awkwardly. I assume from your mention of declawing that you are in the States - if you were in the UK the standard treatment would be daily metacam, but I don't think it is approved for long term treatment in the US. I would put him back on the pain killers, which seem to have worked, and think about adapting your home where possible with ramps, steps, food and perhaps a water fountain at his height, etc.
Thank you for your comment! In recent weeks, Butch has had good and bad days. The doctor just started him on a steroid regimen in the hopes that if anything neurological is going on, that will bring some relief. And yes, we are based in the States, so unfortunately metacam is not widely used here.