Cat wanting to but unable to eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat wanting to but unable to eat

Post by Marmalade77 »

Hi all

Long time since I’ve been on here. I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything similar.

One of my cats - approx 14 years - is showing an interest in food but seem unable to eat. He will take a biscuit in his mouth and spit it out - he just did it and hissed ans he’s not usually a hisser. Earlier he licked some soft food (he was v reluctant to try initially) then pulled a away sharply.

He’s a large cat, likes his food normally. In January this year he had some dental work done including removal of two teeth. At the time I was told there was a possible tooth resorption for another tooth but it may not be so it was a wait and see approach. I’ve just taken him to vets today. He’s lost a little weight but nothing obvious seen. He’s alert. He’s had an anti inflammatory and a pain killer injection and I’m monitoring him to see if he starts eating again. If he does then it’s pain relief for a week. I am aware that the pain could just return once the treatment wears off.
My first thoughts is the tooth resorption but the vet could see anything obvious. I’m worried about stomach/throat cancer too but not seen any vomiting or diarrhoea although he does go outside but he’s in overnight so I’d expect to see something?

Anyone experienced this? Obviously I’ll continue with the vet care but I feel worried if I’m just masking the pain and there’s an underlying condition to be found.

Sam
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat wanting to but unable to eat

Post by Ruth B »

My own cat has had most of his teeth resorb, about 18 months ago we noticed he had lost a canine and went in to have the root removed. That was when the vet phoned to say all his incisors and premolars had already been resorbed and his molars were so far gone he needed them out. At 5 years old he was left with 3 canines (and I have a feeling the remaining upper canine will have to go in the not too distant future). The thing is, beside having some of the worst breath i've ever experienced in a cat, he had no sign of having dental problem, he could eat fine, and was rather an accomplished hunter.

Another cat we used to have however did have tooth problems as he got older with several becoming infected, and over a couple of sessions in theatre he had all his back teeth out as well, and was a lot better after it

So my thought is it may not be the resorbtion that is a problem, but something like an infection, probably in one of his remaining teeth, although an infection in one of the sockets is possible, after this long they should be fully healed. The anti inflammatory and pain killer should help him eat and if it comes back after they are finished then he possibly needs antibiotics if they were included with the anti inflammatory or he will proabably need more dental work doing, if the infection is under a tooth it can be very hard to spot until the cat is under anesthetic and the vet can get in and have a good look.

While I understand that stomach, throat or mouth cancer are possible and are big worries, I feel that a bad tooth is far more likely. As i heard it put, a cat with no teeth is far happier and better off than a cat with a single bad tooth.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Cat wanting to but unable to eat

Post by Marmalade77 »

Thanks Ruth.
So when i was checking on him he seemed to be struggling to yawn. I felt his face/jaw and noticed one side felt swollen. I took him back to vet - who insisted the swelling wasn’t there in the morning - I disagree as I know it cannot have come up that fast and seems very likely linked to Julian’s problem. Vet said it feels like a soft tissue swelling. I’m thinking an abscess but vet was reluctant to say for sure (understandably). Anyway Julian had a long lasting antibiotic injection. He did eat a full chicken breast a bit later in the day. Therefore I’m hoping it’s the cause of his problem (the ?abscess). Whether it is dental causes or superficial from his skin we don’t know but the former is obviously more difficult to treat and will need dental work. I think the plan is to see if it remains/goes/returns and I’d he gets his appetite back. It may be unrelated but it seems a likely cause to me. He hasn’t really eaten since but the painkiller may be wearing off and I know abscess treatment is a lengthy process.

Thankyou for your reply, advice, input. I really appreciate it.

Sam