Can anyone recommend semintra?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Can anyone recommend semintra?

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

My sweet girl is now 19.5 years old with kidney, thyroid problems, high blood pressure & been deff for about 2 years.
She’s on browned time & not keen on renal food & the vet said let her eat what she wants she’s only 2.5kg now & more important that she eats.

The vet has said that semintra will help her can anyone recommend it or an alternative they found helpful?

Also where to get it from, it looks very Pricy?

Thanks 🐾🐾
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Can anyone recommend semintra?

Post by booktigger »

Semintra is a prescription product, so the only other thing you can do is get a prescription and buy online, but it depends if she's going to take it first. I'd definitely say it is worth trying
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

It will stop the phosphate in her blood from getting too high. It's a job normally done by the kidneys but when the kidneys are failing blood phosphate levels rise. High blood phosphate will make your cat feel really poorly. Bringing phosphate levels down won't make a difference to the underlying disease process but will make your cat feel alot better in herself. It can have some side effects but all medicines can and in my opinion it is worth trying if it might make her feel better. You can always stop it if she doesn't get on with it for any reason.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

Whoops! Ignore that last post. i was talking about Ipakitine. Worth trying but not what you asked about. Sorry.
Kaaskats
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kaaskats »

Hi

My beautiful DWC Elmo, was on in renal failure and was prescribed Semintra - he lived for a further 2 and 1/2 years from his initial diagnosis, using this medication. Elmo hated all forms of renal food, and the only way he would eat would be semintra mixed in with his regular (non renal) food.