Question for anyone who has had a three-legged cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Question for anyone who has had a three-legged cat

Post by Mollycat »

I'm asking this or a friend whose cat recently lost a back leg.

About once a week or so, the cat seems to go into a weird little panic, tries to walk backwards and can't, with her little stump moving. My first thought was maybe she tries to step back, can't feel the missing foot touch the floor and panics while at the same time frantically trying to find somewhere it will connect with the floor. But that's just my guess.

Anyone, any ideas what's going on, is she still just getting used to the amputation, will this get better with time and is there any way to help her?

Thanks.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Question for anyone who has had a three-legged cat

Post by fjm »

Not a cat, but I asked my neighbour who has a small dog (Elton) that had to have a hind leg amputated about forgetting the leg wasn't there, and he says it happened a lot at first, and still does occasionally when Elton first wakes up. So I think it is something that will improve with time.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Question for anyone who has had a three-legged cat

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you, that's what I would guess, apparently it's quite frightening for the owners because she really panics and it's specifically when she tries to step backwards I think. At first the owner said it seemed as though she had the funny turn first and then tried to go backwards, but the other way around would make more sense.