Help with cat problem please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Johnpgh24
New Cat Chatter

Help with cat problem please

Post by Johnpgh24 »

Hello all.. I'm john..

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help.

I have 3 cats.. We have a male(budd) and a female(penny lane) that we got from animal rescue about 3 years ago. Penny has always been a little skittish and independent. About 7 months ago we found a young kitten in a abandoned trailor so we took her to the vet and had her checked out.. Everything was okay in terms of feline aids or whatever(I'm no expert). We brought her home, Prudence, and took our time introducing her to the others and it went ok at first.. Prudence and budd are like 2 peas in a pod.. Wrestling.. Eating together.. Everything(budd the most lovable easy going cat ever) but penn started to hide and not come out.. Which really worried me. I mean we wouldn't see her for a day at all.. Then we seen prudence attack penny.. Not like attack but she went at penny like she goes at budd and penny's not that type of cat. So we cleared out a bedroom in our home.. Made her tunnels to play on with sheets.. Have a cat perch on the window so she can look out.. Toys.. A cat bed..

Now the problem were having is she doesn't go in the litter box.. She does use it to pee once in a whole but not often. I clean the litter everyday.. We've tried 3 diff clumping litters.. We've tried shredded paper.. But she doesn't use them which of course means she pees other places. She doesn't cry not whine when she pees.. there's no blood or discolor in the pee or poops.. She often sits on the tv stand and this morning I found pee on it behind where she was sitting.. I don't want to tel my girlfriend because she's always mentioned getting rid of her and I can't do that. I'm a extreme animal lover and it bring tears to my eyes to know my penny's not happy. I mean I don't want her up pee all over my stuff but the fact that she's doing that means something's wrong..

So.. Idk I know the "take her to the vet" response and that's prob my next step.. Just wanted to know if anyone had some advice or something to try
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help with cat problem please

Post by lilynmitz »

How many litter trays do you have? Ideally you should have at least one for each cat, and if Penny's getting a bit bullied by Pru, she may be reluctant to share a tray. Try giving her one where she can pee in peace and privacy without getting ambushed.

Check also that it's not cystitis, which can be brought on by stress. The sign is usually lots and lots of little wees every day. If in doubt, pop her along to the vet for a check.
Johnpgh24
New Cat Chatter

Post by Johnpgh24 »

Hello and thanks for the reply.. We have 3 trays in the home.. 3 water and food bowls.. We started keeping penny seperate in the bedroom alone just because we worried about her...
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I'd add another two trays in and see if that sorts the problem, the general rule is one tray per cat plus one extra.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Yes...try an extra litter tray. Also show Penny lots of love and try and show her that she isnt get pushed out and that you still love her.

Sometimes cats will feel ambushed when a new cat comes in. You have to show that Penny is a cat that is here to stay and that you still care for her.