How to prevent cats coming in garden to bully mine?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Katemort
New Cat Chatter

How to prevent cats coming in garden to bully mine?

Post by Katemort »

Hi, my poor 16 year old Roxy has been beaten up by a neighbouring cat. Roxy is content staying in the garden, doesn't stray. Have looked at commercial options, but can't afford and would worry with an angled inward fence that cats could come in but be unable to get out and make things worse. Options are; put trellis up, vet advised flimsy expanding stuff is actually good as harder to climb and they don't like it moving; or string 2 wires along fence line so they can't Balance on it; or cut a pipe down the centre (not a rolling one but put it along the top of the fence as they can't grip it). Fences vary in height, have seen neighbouring cats scale the 6 foot one, think it's less their side, some only 3 or 4 foot tall. To add to that,neighbours have a flat roof, their cats come out of the window onto it then onto our sloping roof into our garden. It's that neighbours cats who are some of the bullies, others are 2 doors down on other side, they all fight each other too. I scare them away when I can. No idea what to do about them crossing the roofs? Anyone had something similar and found trellis/wire/plastic pipe works? Me and Roxy thank you
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: How to prevent cats coming in garden to bully mine?

Post by Ruth B »

It isn't something i have had to do, but i do know that a 6ft fence isn't an obstacle to most young cats. I know there are people on here that have done DIY cat proofing to their gardens so hopefully they can give some advice, but i was wondering if you have considered building just a Catio for yours. If they aren't wanting to wander far then a smaller area with all they need to happily sit out in the sun or the shade in safety might be enough to make them happy and prevent the neighbourhood cats from bullying them, and would probably work out cheaper than doing the whole garden.