How to make cat more friendly

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
robbieburton
New Cat Chatter

How to make cat more friendly

Post by robbieburton »

Hello, I was recently given a new cat that is almost 1 year old by a friend. It is extremely shy and is always evasive around my house. It's hard to get close to it. Does anyone have any tips to make it more friendly and less shy?
Thanks!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How to make cat more friendly

Post by Mollycat »

Give the cat space and time, do not try to follow him/her and "make" it friendly. Just sit back, be calm, let the cat settle and get comfortable in your home. Maybe the cat eventually will come to you, but it might take a long time. Patience.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Time, patience and lots of love.
If it's the type of cat that likes being friendly he/she will come around eventually, if not there's just some cats that prefer to be more aloof and on their own. As long as it's happy, healthy and not feral and not hurting anybody it's all good :)
Also cats can change over time, some become much friendlier as they age.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Poor thing, it doesn't know what's happened to it, or why, nor whether you are it's life long friend or you're going to eat it for dinner. It's understandably confused and wary at the moment. Some cats just are more timid than others and always will be, but most gain in confidence in the right environment, and most cats I've had have gradually changed throughout their lifetimes. I've had a few real scaredy cats but as others have said, with time and patience they do come round.

I've found sitting quietly in the room with them, lying on the floor so that you're at their level, and talking quietly to them, rather than trying to force affection on them, is much more effective. They'll come to you when they're ready. Offering treats from an extended arm, offering your fingers for them to sniff, playing with toys on string or the end of a stick are all useful tips. I spent a couple of days doing this for a cat who refused to come out from under the bed, and she suddenly decided I was ok, came out, rolled on the floor next to me and we never looked back. Another I spent quite a while behind the sofa with him! Also turned into a love bug, even if he was still terrified of all our visitors.

Give him/her time, space and patience, I'm sure all will be fine. Just remember to let them do it at their own pace though.

You might find some tips on this link helpful.

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-in-the-home