My cat gizmo passed away suddenly

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

My cat gizmo passed away suddenly

Post by Stephen130 »

Hi everyone this is my first time posting glad to have found the group not sure I'm in the right section but my 6 year old cat gizmo suddenly passed away on Tuesday he was outside with my girlfriend fine and bein his normal self he went and lay down in his wee shed in the cool and when my gf turned around to look at home he was panting weirdly she lifted him and brought him into the house but he wasn't getting any better she rushed him to the vets he sprawled out in the car and was meowing weirdly she got him into the vets a 5 minute drive from the house and he was in with them for about 10 minutes to the shock they had informed my gf that our precious gizmo passed away they had put it down to saddle thrombus or anaphylaxis shock but she said she was mor inclined that it was saddle thrombus because his back paws were cold and his tongue was blue if anyone has any experience of this I would love to here from you miss my gizzy boy so so much can't bilieve he's gone
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat gizmo passed away suddenly

Post by Kay »

how horrible for you

it certainly sounds like he had a heart condition no one knew about - most probably it was congenital, and there might not have been much you could have done had you had a diagnosis

sudden death is a horrible shock for those left behind, but not the worst thing for the one who has gone - small comfort, I know, but perhaps it will help given time
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stephen130 »

It's just awful that there was no prior warning whatsoever happy young healthy cat gone within a matter of minutes I didn't realise how common it was until I started researching online was shocked I'm just glad he was home when he got ill and didn't pass away on his own
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

This is awful, I'm so sorry to hear about this.
Was it too hot? Could it have been a heat stroke maybe? One of my cats got a heat stroke a few weeks ago and one of the signs among other things was a blue tongue, she almost died but the vet saved her, on the same day or the next day tho a dog in our building passed away from heat stroke :( similar symptoms. I didn't bring that up before, but yeah, that happened too.
Whatever happened it's awful and I fully understand how you must feel.
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stephen130 »

The vet had said it wasn't heatstroke becuase he would have had red gums and tongue and he was lying in a cool shed most of the day and how quick he died was another sign that it was saddle strombus just scary how fast everything can go from good in a matter of minutes
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stephen130 »

The vet had said it wasn't heatstroke becuase he would have had red gums and tongue and he was lying in a cool shed most of the day and how quick he died was another sign that it was saddle strombus just scary how fast everything can go from good in a matter of minutes
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you've probably done a lot of googling, but in case you missed it, this account of having a cat with saddle strombus will strike a chord

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted ... _cats-7364
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stephen130 »

Haven't stopped googling since gizmo passed away the grief is the worst thing I have ever experienced just feels like there is no way I will feel any better
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry. Saddle thrombus is so sudden, almost always fatal, and very painful. Your girlfriend did everything possible, recognising that something was wrong and getting him to the vet immediately - I hope there is some comfort in knowing that she gave him the very best chance of recovery by acting so swiftly. But too often nothing can be done, even with rapid treatment. For Gizzy it was all over in minutes; the pain of grief lasts much longer. Do you know about Blue Cross Bereavement Support - sometimes it can help to talk to someone who understands.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet puss Ziggy the same way, he'd only been with us 18 months, less than 4 years old. I came home and found him half under the bed, back legs paralysed and in appalling pain, and semi glazed expression on his face. Like you I rushed him to the vet and they took him in straight away, sedated him, and told me there was nothing they could do, they called it spinal thrombosis but it sounds very similar to saddle thromobosis, I'm not sure whether there's any distinction particularly mattered at the time. I was distraught, but the kindest, and only choice was to let him go peacefully there and then. Sudden deaths like this, particularly in young cats, are very traumatic, our only consolation is that they were home when it happened, we caught it quickly and got them to the vet as soon as we could, where they could be released from their pain.

Sending consoling hugs, RIP little Gizmo. Look out for Ziggy, he'll be a great playmate for you.
Stephen130
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stephen130 »

It's just strange because gizmo never really seemed to loose power in his back legs as such just foaming at the mouth and panting heavy but his eyes were wide open when the vet took him nearly like a blank stare but he let a loud meow out of him when the vet went to take him just but they had said his back feet went cold and tongue went blue and legs weren't responding eyes werent responding to the light either and he slipped away