Recommend flea treatment for home/bedding etc

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Clawsy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Recommend flea treatment for home/bedding etc

Post by Clawsy »

Do you recommend any good products to get rid of fleas in the house? Stuff that is good and actually works, but also safe to use with sensitive or eldery cats?

Anyone have flea allergy cat? What flea treatment do you use?

Stray cat (with the itchy skin problem), I saw a flea on him last night. I de flead him 2 weeks ago, and I think maybe either I placed it too low on his neck/shoulders or that brand just doesnt work that great. IDK. Ive now tried using frontline plus as that USED to work great for a cat i had with flea allergies very badly and nothing else helped her. So Im trying frontline plus on him, but I read that maybe it doesnt work as well as it used to?I guess I will find out.
But hes got a flea that I saw and has terribly itchy skin (no rash) so while im doing the hypoallergic diet and trying to rid house of dust, I had better try get rid of all fleas.

my old cat resident cat, he cannot tolerate fly spray in the house (it makes him vomit a lot if we use even a small bit, he is then vomiting his food up alot. So no fly spray comes in the house now. , also when i use topical flea treatment it makes him very tired for a day after... (which I did not realise until now I need to ask vet about!)

So I cant use anything around the place that will upset eldery cat but I also need to sort out fleas for teh stray cat who has now moved in. (Someone I know might be taking him in a week or 3 once he finishes his anti itch pills, so i hope this can happen and his skin calms down).

Also stray cat with itchy skin, I cleaned couch, vaccumed and steamed, took covers off washed them, and it was so dusty it had me sneezing but he seemed fine (i had to move him out of the room half way through) so surely if it was dustmites hes allergic to he might of sneezed or scratched more after that? Cause he did neither.

ATM: I have vaccumed and then ran steam mop slowly over carpet. Not sure how often I should be vaccuming. I dont see any fleas myself and wondering if hes getting them in the garden.
Frontline plus used to kill the eggs and larva and adults and was great for my old cat allergies but not sure if its still as effective.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Recommend flea treatment for home/bedding etc

Post by fjm »

Fleas are becoming Frontline resistant in many places, so it would be worth trying a treatment with different active ingredients next time - you really need to wait till 4 weeks after the last treatment though. Your vet should be able to advise on the best product in your area, and prescription ones are usually far better than over the counter.

Washing all bedding and anything else washable on a hot wash, repeated vacuuming (a cat flea collar in the vacuum cleaner bag to kill off any caught in there is often recommended), and combing with a fine tooth comb and drowning any fleas you find have worked for me in the past. A shallow dish of water with a small candle lit in the middle can help to tell how bad things are - if any fleas are attracted to the warmth and drowned you can reckon there are ten times as many lurking...

You have to keep up vacuuming etc for several weeks as each new generation hatches, and get into all the nooks and crannies where eggs and larvae may lurk, but that pluus a change of treatment in two weeks time should do the trick.