Leaking poop

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Emmagx80
New Cat Chatter

Leaking poop

Post by Emmagx80 »

So I have 3 kitten (5-6mths) about 3 weeks ago the girl came down with a bug, she had severe watery diarrhoea and she was sick, took her to the vets they started antibiotics, then a boy got it, they were both isolated. By day 4 the girl was really unwell so rushed her and her brother to the vets, while on the way to the vets the other threw up and pooped everywhere so rushed him in to. The 2 boys were kept for 2 nights but the girl didn’t look good and was on a drip for 4 days the vet didn’t think she would make it. Bloods all normal so no indication of toxins, poop sample finally came back that they had campylobacter I was convinced isospora or giardia. All kittens came home but ever since the girl just can’t stop leaking poo! Her poops still aren’t 100% solid, she lies down and poop dribbles out, her cat post is covered most mornings and she’s stinky all the time. I’ve swapped there food to wellness core and it’s firmed the boys poop up and it’s starting to work on her, anyone have any advice? She’s on prokolin also. She’s literally confined to the hall way as no one wants the poop cat on there beds.
marigold575
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Leaking poop

Post by marigold575 »

Hi

Could you call the vet and see if they could advise any other things that might help? Fingers crossed the food continues to help, even if it is slowly.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Leaking poop

Post by Joe_Danger »

I'm glad she made it, if it is starting to work on her it'll work out eventually most likely.
When we found Spaska, at only 3 weeks old she wouldn't stop leaking poop, she had no parasites or anything yet she was looking poop for a week or so. The vet gave her an injection and since she was eating solid food we promptly put her on Royal Canin Sensitive, granted it wasn't the kitten variant becuase the store didn't have that, but it worked.
I had never seen anything like it, her bum was swollen, she'd leak poop constantly, maybe her anal glands were full too, which also results in leakage. Royal Canin Sensitive is food that all 4 of my cats adore and it helps a lot.
Also be sure to give her Probiotic for kittens/cats, that helps a ton, we also give the adults when they have the runs human probiotics because they love it, especially Mila.

Probiotic and food that contains probiotics should do the trick.

Some 5 years ago now I've had a situation with Kala at around 4-5 months where she had very bad diarhea and ended up having to get injections every day for 2-3 days but she was fine afterwards, it just took some time for the stool to get back to normal.

It all worked out for Spaska, if the food you're giving them is starting to work it will work but it might take some more time, definitely keep in touch with your vet, but you already do that and know to do it so no need for me to advise you on that :)