Cat smacking her lips

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat smacking her lips

Post by mustafa811 »

My cat usually lick her lips after eating for like a minute , but recently she have been licking her lips excessively for like 5-10 minutes after eating.

I noticed when i touch her mouth on the right side she feels some discomfort , so i got peek at her gums and apparently the right side is inflammed .

So am gonna visit a vet soon , but untill then what do i expect , and can i help in anyway to sooth this inflammation or look for the reason ?!
marigold575
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Cat smacking her lips

Post by marigold575 »

Hello

If your cat seems to be in pain I would recommend talking to your vet as soon as possible and arranging a visit; I hope you are able to get them feeling better soon.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Hello Mustafa, lovely to hear Nans is still doing so well with her tumour.

I don't know of any home remedies for sore inflamed gums while you wait to see the vet but can you see if she avoids eating on the right? And does she rub the right side of her face hard on furniture or your hand when you let her?

Hopefully it will just be a little infection. or maybe she will need a dental scale and polish, and a closer look at the condition of her teeth, which can only be done under anaesthetic. That's where it becomes so difficult with older cats when they don't handle anaesthesia so well as when they were young!

Worst case scenario is extractions are needed, most cats do just fine and an antibiotic is usually given at the same time as a precaution. Molly was a precious little madam and would only lick mousse type foods for a couple of months, but that's unusual. A cat I had before, had all premolars and molars removed at once, she came home from the vets and crunched up some of her dry food immediately. The cost hurts more than anything.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

There are certain foods that can help, but I'd be getting her looked at by a vet asap than trying home remedies.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

Thanks all for the concern , the vet visit is scheduled for the next week , i bought a dental care kit called nunbell online and i will receive it today nsha2allah .

I never thought only eating wet food could do this , but apparently dry food preserve the teeth much more .

She is so affectionate molly , she always likes a good rub against head and chin but now she avoids rubbing against her right chin , the gum is inflammed , might have a mild infection but no abscess yet , guess the vet will be the judge of that .

I will keep you informed .
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

Today i received the dental care kit , when i opened her mouth i was glad to see that the inflammation subsided , i started to brush her teeth , she was angry at first but it kind of liked the toothpaste , but it was so fun brushing her tiny little teeth 😀, i wish i could have recorded this , i used the regular soft brush the first time to clean throughly but i will use the silicone small fingers from now on to be more convenient for the cat .
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Nans must have so much love and trust in you. I never had a cat that would let me open his or her mouth, let alone brush their teeth.

That sounds positive anyway.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 pm Nans must have so much love and trust in you. I never had a cat that would let me open his or her mouth, let alone brush their teeth.

That sounds positive anyway.
Thanks molly your are always so kind , i love her too .