Cat with terminal hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart failure)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TaraZahara85
New Cat Chatter

Cat with terminal hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart failure)

Post by TaraZahara85 »

Hi all,

My cat Caspian was diagnosed with heart failure a year ago. He's generally been well managed with medication with a few episodes of breathing difficulties. His most recent episode this week they discovered a clot in his heart and have recommended euthanasia 😭 They said that there's a chance the clot could move which would paralyze him and cause him excruciating pain. Therefore euthanasia is most humane to do this before it happens.

But it's not guaranteed to happen and I don't want to terminate his life early if there's a chance he could have more time to live a happy life.

He remains active and his normal self, so Im in 2 minds with what to do. 😭😭😭 I have an appointment for euthanasia tomorrow but I'm so conflicted
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat with terminal hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart failure)

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry that you find yourself in this predicament.

Thankfully I have never seen this for myself but what your vet is referring to is saddle thrombus, and it's commonly called throwing a clot when it becomes dislodged. My friend's cat fell victim to it and in all honesty as heartbreaking as it is I would seriously consider a peaceful ending rather than the risk of it happening if there is nothing else that can be done to deal with the blood clot before it goes travelling. Based on the horror my friend described I certainly wouldn't want that to be my final memory of a much loved pet.

Sometimes it's easier not to know, so we don't have to make these awful decisions. I don't know how high the risk is of it happening but all I can suggest is read everything you can about saddle thrombus so that you know exactly what trauma the vet is offering to spare you and Caspian from potentially going through.

Remember, Caspian doesn't know h the risks. All he knows if he feels well or he feels unwell, he is in pain or not in pain. He has no concept of the years ahead of him or that he might be missing out. Those thoughts are a human burden. If you keep the appointment, it's for good reason they call it being put to sleep, that is exactly how it goes.
TaraZahara85
New Cat Chatter

Post by TaraZahara85 »

Thank you for replying with such understanding. From what I understand, because Caspian can't take blood thinners his chance of getting it is relatively high. I obviously want to minimise any potential suffering. It's just such a heartbreaking decision to have to make 😭
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

It is not just the clot tara , once diagnosed with heart failure it means he is sick , and you might not notice but he is suffering , he can't play as before , he might find it difficult to breath .

A clot formation means the heart can't pump blood efficiently anymore so blood stagnates and more clots will form , his heart walls are not contracting as before and are kind of still .

The clot might propagate causing a saddle thrombus which can cause severe pain , it might propagate to any organ like brain or kidney causing organ failures .

But still i can feel you , it is a harsh choice , i have a senior cat with breast cancer , and vets thought she will die within 2 years but still she is healthy and not feeling any pain , and i am waiting anytime to be put in your place , 2 years made me think i am ready for that decision when it comes but still i am not sure if this is true .
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

This is such a hard position to be in, if the risk is high of the clot moving and causing him pain, I would let him go to make sure that doesn't happen, it is better to make these decisions earlier, I can't remember the exact saying, but it's something like 'better a day too early, than a day too late' but it isn't easy when they seem well in themselves. You don't say how old he is, but you have bought him a whole year since his initial diagnosis, hopefully that will help in this sad time.