Kittens T-foetus

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Fluffybumsmun
New Cat Chatter

Kittens T-foetus

Post by Fluffybumsmun »

Hi

I’ll try and be brief as this quite a long one.
I got two pedigree registered kittens in april of this year - one had a sniffle when we got him and was assured was just a cold. long story short went to vets nearly immediately as I wasn’t happy just a sniffle and treated for URI had Antibiotics helped a bit other kitten got it same treatment for her ok for a few weeks and back again. Both also had a touch of soft poop but put down to antibiotics etc
Sniffles and snotty eyes kept recurring so vets did swaps and tested positive for chlamydia so had a long course of the right antibiotics and the poops also resolved

Chlamydia now resolved but soft poops returned and vet put down to long term antibiotics but none of standard treatments probiotics have worked also did a poop sample and was clear. Both cats are well other than horrific poops and now vets suspect T-Foetus infection so doing a specific test for it when I take samples in on Monday.

have I been incredibly unlucky with these cats or has all this stemmed from where they came from. I think I’ve paid as much in vets bills as I have the cats in the 6 months we’ve had them.

I’m just really frustrated as I’ve not been able to enjoy having my two fluff balls as much as I should as they have never been truly healthy and causing me much worry and stress

sorry for the long post
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kittens T-foetus

Post by booktigger »

You may have just been unlucky, but I think you need to mention this to the breeder you got them from, in case there is a genetic issue and they shouldn't be breeding from these cats. I assume due to Covid you weren't able to visit the house and check out the hygiene standards?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

My retired stud came with (among lots more paperwork) a certificate to say he had been chlamydia tested and was clear, he was tested annually. If your kittens have it, it's possible the parents weren't tested, and that calls into question a breeder possibly not testing for STIs, and then the respiratory infection as well which can become chronic. A responsible breeder should want to know this has happened to their kittens and act on it for future litters.
Fluffybumsmun
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fluffybumsmun »

booktigger wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:47 am You may have just been unlucky, but I think you need to mention this to the breeder you got them from, in case there is a genetic issue and they shouldn't be breeding from these cats. I assume due to Covid you weren't able to visit the house and check out the hygiene standards?
No was during covid so couldn’t see hygiene standards.
They did have a very large number of cats and kittens and do wonder whether it’s too many for them to cope with
Fluffybumsmun
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fluffybumsmun »

So the test result was positive for T-Foetus

I’m beyond annoyed as the vet confirmed this can only come from the breeder along with the chlamydia.
Poor kittens are 8 months old now and have been on meds for one thing or another since we got them 5 months ago.

I now need to raise this with the breeder and perhaps the breed society they are registered with and the local council as unwell kittens are clearly being sold

Anyone had experience of this?