Help please cat with broken jaw not eating after 8 days with vet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catbuddy
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Help please cat with broken jaw not eating after 8 days with vet

Post by catbuddy »

Hi

This is not my cat but one I fostered. The lady who adopted the cat rang me last Tuesday to say she had been run over. They got the cat to the vets and they have wired the jaw. It was the mandible jaw that was broken along with head injuries. Her head injuries are much better according to the vet.

As she is not my cat I can't speak to the vets directly so all info is second hand. The lady who owns the cat is finding it very difficult because the progress seems painfully slow. The cat has not been eating anything, the vets put her on a drip to get food and liquid in her. The drip accidentally came out on Sunday and the vets were reluctant to put her under a 3rd anesthetic to reinsert the drip. A second x-ray showed she has a very small fracture which was not picked up on her first operation - they don't want to operate again because they think it would be better healing on it's own. So they have her on stronger pain killers to get the cat to eat by herself - but she is not eating.

Her adopter is very distressed with it all (as am I) - if anyone has any experience of this type of injury some advice would be appreciated.

Thank you