Indoor cat trying to escape

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Pinto-Berbinto
New Cat Chatter

Indoor cat trying to escape

Post by Pinto-Berbinto »

This is my first post and I joined because I need help.

We have had out cat for over 4 years now. He was a wild stray that befriended us. We did everything we could to find his rightful home but eventually decided to chip him and make him a member of our family.

We moved house and to make sure he was safe and tame I built him a massive cage and we spent many hours in the cage with him to win him over. Eventually, over time he became tame and trusting and now loves sleeping on our bed. He really is a big softy and acts more like a dog than a cat.

Because we have another cat (a Ragdoll) that is a house cat we decided to turn him into a house cat but with access to our garden. I built a fence around the garden that prevents him from getting our. Over the past 4 years he has been very happy having the house and garden to roam.

This summer he escaped twice and for two evening chased pigeons on our neighbours shed roof.

I have now fixed the fence and he can't (I think) escape. Here lies the problem!
Ever since the escape he hasn't been happy in the garden, all he does is cry and look to escape again.

What should we do and why is he now so unhappy?

It is making us sad and stressed thinking he doesn't like living with us anymore.
catbuddy
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Indoor cat trying to escape

Post by catbuddy »

Hi there

Wonder if he'll forget about his exciting time chasing pigeons I've fostered cats that I've had to exclude from rooms in my house they enjoyed for different reasons eg back room was a shut off space for mother cat and kittens - all other cats were strictly barred.

Mostly in time they've forgotten about their former play space.

Maybe you could provide some toys in the garden or something of interest to distract him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Indoor cat trying to escape

Post by Kay »

I have an enclosed patio area at the back of my house, and I remember very clearly the piteous wailing my Russian Blue made when I captured him after he escaped for an hour - he kept it up for a couple of days and then got over it

I think you'll find the same with your boy, especially when the days become colder and shorter - a few days of constant rain would help too

the important thing is to prevent any more escapes, so he stops living in hope - you are not being cruel in setting up such a good home and access to outdoors, so don't feel bad