New Cat Owner, Advise Please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Martyn Clarke
New Cat Chatter

New Cat Owner, Advise Please

Post by Martyn Clarke »

Good evening

Firstly, a little background before the question.
We have recently adopted a beautiful cat that was left alone after a bereavement. At his old home he had the option to come and go as he pleased via a cat flap.
Cooper is approximately 7 years old has not been neutered or chipped (operation booked for the 7th of September)
After about 3 weeks of getting to know his new home, he started to show an interest to go outside which we did try, after a couple of days exploring our garden, he obviously decided that he wanted to get to know the local area.
I let him out at 5.10am on the 24/08/21 to stretch his legs and didn’t return all day which was strange as he loves his food. After searching for him from 7pm until about midnight I had to give up and go to bed ready for a 5am start. I thought we had lost him. ☹
My son the 15-year-old night owl woke me at 4am to inform me he had returned with a few injuries maybe from either fighting or being stuck somewhere.
Relieved, I decided that he must not go out again until his neutering and chipping. Cooper now seems unhappy and is still very persistent to get out, constantly meowing and scratching at the patio window. He has not used his litter tray for 2 days which makes me think he’s found another spot in the house (I’ve looked everywhere and no sign of toilet activity).
Finally, the question.
Should I just grow a pair and accept that he has always had his freedom and let him out or (for my own sanity) keep him inside until his operation knowing he’s safe.
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Regards
Martyn (newbie cat owner)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Cat Owner, Advise Please

Post by Mollycat »

Welcome to CC and being owned, manipulated, terrorised and loved by a cat, and a whole new level of stress and negotiating skills. Or maybe just learning to always give in/up.

I totally see where you're coming from wanting to keep him in, but unfortunately before his op is precisely the time he is more likely to feel the need to be out. Neutered boys usually become much more home bugs after. At least it's good to know he knows where home is and didn't wander off in search of his old home. How cat-safe is the area around your home, is it a big worry that something will happen to a street-wise cat?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Cat Owner, Advise Please

Post by fjm »

Welcome!

Keeping in an entire cat who is used to free roaming is going to be tough on all concerned; on the other hand he has also just moved into a new territory already owned by several cats, so if he is out is going to get into fights, which is bad for him and for the already resident cats. The ideal would be to make your garden secure, so that he can get out into that but no further, but that may not be an option. Avoiding letting him out during the early morning and evening may help - those are the most popular times with cats, so he will be most desperate then, but also most likely to get in a scrap with other cats. If you can move the op forward I would, as he will stay closer to home once the urge to seek out females in heat and fight over them has passed, but even then I think I would supervise him as much as possible when he is out for a while, warn neighbours that there is a new kid on the block, and make sure he has a flap or window to give him access back into the house.

You have my sympathy - I have spent more hours combing the neighbourhood for cats that have not come home when they should than I care to remember - 99% of the time they were home within 24 hours, demanding food, but that 1% are the occasions that stick in your memory and send you out once more shaking the biscuit box... Teaching him to come when called can really help - delicious treats paired with a call word, gradually increasing the distance around the house and garden, and never followed by anything unpleasant like being shut indoors.