Cat feeding from neighbour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
stimpy
New Cat Chatter

Cat feeding from neighbour

Post by stimpy »

Neighbour (a few doors down) has 2 cats. He leaves the downstairs window open for them in leiu of a cat flap for the majority of the day. My 10 month old Burmese has learnt that he can easily jump into this window and sneak into the kitchen for an easy snack from the cat bowls. He happens to have a very sensitive tummy so this is causing him to have these horrible liquid poos. My cat also has a sleeping spot in this house and I've spoken to the neighbour about it, who brings him back around to my front door "when he finds him". I suggested spraying with water but he doesn't want to do this for an unspecified reason, and also says he won't close his windows. The neighbour has appeared fairly nice through all interactions so far but it is my suspicion he is doing/has done things to encourage my cat to visit which he is not being completely honest about. I don't think he is intentionally feeding but he is for sure being sloppy about leaving food down. I've tried things like only letting him out when he's fed and trying to have an active playtime in my garden with his toy but he's always straight over the fence and off to the other house. Not sure what I can do about this besides keeping my cat inside for the majority of the day, but he's a very active cat who loves to climb things and explore, so he absolutely hates this. Any suggestions?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat feeding from neighbour

Post by Mollycat »

Fraid not, I'm seeing your neighbour's point of view here that he wants to look after his cats his way which obviously means free access and free feeding, which he has every right to do. Then he might not want to spray water inside his own home and he might even know that spraying is advised against as it often produces behavioural problems and more often doesn't even work. I do see that it's a problem, but I can see why your neighbour doesn't see it being his problem. Cats don't need encouraging to wander into other people's houses and if there is something nice there whether it's food, company, nicer beds or simple peace and quiet, they will keep going back.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

The only thing I can suggest if you cannot make your own garden escape proof is asking your neighbour to feed whatever you do, if it is acceptable to his own cats, and if you perhaps contribute to the cost. That way the food will not be more exciting than at home which may make it less interesting, and even if he does continue to visit at least it won't lead to diarrhoea!
stimpy
New Cat Chatter

Post by stimpy »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:41 am Fraid not, I'm seeing your neighbour's point of view here that he wants to look after his cats his way which obviously means free access and free feeding, which he has every right to do. Then he might not want to spray water inside his own home and he might even know that spraying is advised against as it often produces behavioural problems and more often doesn't even work. I do see that it's a problem, but I can see why your neighbour doesn't see it being his problem. Cats don't need encouraging to wander into other people's houses and if there is something nice there whether it's food, company, nicer beds or simple peace and quiet, they will keep going back.
Don't you think it's your responsibility as a decent neighbour not to entice other peoples pets into your home? I've had a number of cats poking around my food bowls and I always scare them off with very minimal fuss, and they don't come back. I know that spraying your own cat is a bad idea as they will build a negative association with you and not the actual thing you are trying to teach them not to do, but I don't see why spraying someone elses cat is a bad idea. I think it's his responsiblity to establish some kind of boundary, but of course I can't compell him.
Last edited by stimpy on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stimpy
New Cat Chatter

Post by stimpy »

fjm wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:39 am The only thing I can suggest if you cannot make your own garden escape proof is asking your neighbour to feed whatever you do, if it is acceptable to his own cats, and if you perhaps contribute to the cost. That way the food will not be more exciting than at home which may make it less interesting, and even if he does continue to visit at least it won't lead to diarrhoea!
I might have to suggest this if the diarrhea doesn't clear up. I tried keeping him in for the majority of today and he was going berserk. Not feasbile to make my garden escape proof. Multiple large trees that he can climb with ease plus the shared fence is too weak flimsy to take any additions.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

stimpy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:55 pm Don't you think it's your responsibility as a decent neighbour not to entice other peoples pets into your home? I've had a number of cats poking around my food bowls and I always scare them off with very minimal fuss, and they don't come back. I know that spraying your own cat is a bad idea as they will build a negative association with you and not the actual thing you are trying to teach them not to do, but I don't see why spraying someone elses cat is a bad idea. I think it's his responsiblity to establish some kind of boundary, but of course I can't compell him.
When I had a home where other cats could gain access I always did my best to deter cats, including turning the garden hose towards them and scaring them with a plastic ball gun. I don't know what you use to scare off cats but those things never worked for us, and two of them successfully made their way into our official ownership. They preferred our home to theirs and no matter how many times they were taken back they returned in minutes. Short of barricading our own cat in and only feeding her on a schedule, we couldn't keep them out. The previous owner accepted that cats have choices and these two had made theirs, and we ended up with three cats when we only wanted one.

I don't know your situation there as yours is only one side of the story but from what you say I'm just not convinced the neighbour is actively trying to entice your cat, just letting their own cat have the life they want for it and not prepared to compromise to keep you happy. I'm truly sorry, it's a bad situation for you, but it's a risk we take when we let cats roam and if there is a way to control cats I sure haven't found it.
Clawsy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Clawsy »

What food does he feed?

Wondering if you start to feed the same brand , like if his food is more like junk food, tastes nicer but isn't as healthy.maybe that would help? His runny poo might stop also if he's always eating it?cause constant diet is bettering tummy than chopping changing food.

My cat here if he changes food he gets the runs but once he's on something constant it goes normal. It's the changing partly at least I think that causes the upset.

I think your neighbour should shoo your cat away. Cause you seem like a really good owner it's not like the cat is unhappy with you.

Some people think cats move in with them because they are better to them when it's probably food is more to their taste like going next door for endless McDonald's, of course cat will want that. How fat are his cats?

Neighbour sounds like not very nice, why on earth can't he spray your cat with water, is pretty horrible to not do so if you ask. It's hardly a bother for him to do that! Probably tries to entice your cat over. If someone refused to do that I would think they want the cat, bc it's not a big ask.

If he's free feeding junk food then maybe you have to do he same or more. But neighbour sounds like a @$$%#$@.

If you see your cat over there can u take a bag of treats and entice him out? Make your cat run to you using the treats, in your house first then do it outside. Cat here I have trained to run when I shake the treat bag
Clawsy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Clawsy »

And I know stimpy is a wonderful cat owner a very good cat parent. A cat couldn't ask for a nicer owner so I hope someone can give good advice.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

Just seen this so sorry it’s late but my suggestion would be to find out if his cats are microchipped. If they are you could offer to buy him a microchip operated cat flap*. Alternatively, microchip operated feeding bowls should do the trick. Infact they may be better if he doesn’t want his door interfered with or is the sort to leave a window open anyway.

He might be more receptive if he sees you are contributing to solving the problem rather than just expecting him to make all the changes. And he gets a very expensive gadget out of it. What’s not to like? Stressing to him that your cat is being made ill by the food and it is for the cat’s welfare that you are asking him to do this, might also help. I can’t guarantee he’ll oblige, some people are just plain awkward, but it’s worth a try.

*PS You can also get cat flaps that operate via a device attached to the cat’s collar for cats that aren’t microchipped but he may not entertain that idea if his cats don’t already wear collars.