Panacur liquid - any alternatives for Giardiasis?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Panacur liquid - any alternatives for Giardiasis?

Post by Jacks »

Hi everyone,

I have 7 cats and one of them was losing weight and had diarrhoea (Sophie). Her fur also becoming matted and the vet suggested HyperT. We had full range of bloods done and the only thing was high neutrophils, suggesting an infection. A test of the poop has identified Giardia - everything else is fine (kidneys,liver, no serious diseases). We’ve been prescribed Panacur liquid, and told to dose all 7 cats. We were given syringes and weights/quantities.

Well, what a disaster. Panacur liquid is the consistency and colour of milk of magnesia, and tastes disgusting. We have managed to get two doses down Sophie now, who is gagging and traumatised after each dose - ears back and drooling. She needs a lot of calming before she will anything. The vet says it’s not possible to hide it in food, and I can see why.

The other cats? Completely crazed furies (they are mainly ex-feral anyway) and impossible to get the syringes into their mouths. Wrap them in a towel? No way - total panic. Even the other ‘domestic’ girl turned into a holy terror. I cannot do this.

Has anyone had anything else for their cats to treat Giardiasis? This is a parasite probably from stagnant drinking water, not a worm, and not covered by Drontal, which has spot-ones which are brilliant. :-(

Any advice or recommendation would be gratefully received.

Xx
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Panacur liquid - any alternatives for Giardiasis?

Post by fjm »

Would the granules work? You would have to measure carefully, and make sure each cat got its full dose, but they might accept them on something suitably delicious. I have used the tablets, but those may be even more difficult than the liquid...
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Panacur liquid - any alternatives for Giardiasis?

Post by Jacks »

Thank you, FJM, I’m going to talk to the vet about the granules when they open tomorrow. I wouldn’t have minded the pills - I can pill several of the cats (not all the ex-ferals) but the liquid they just spit and fight, and it’s not as fast a process as pilling… plus they can taste the disgustingness!! The vet made a big thing of getting the amount right for the weight, but you wouldn’t be able to do that with a pill? :(