A question of teeth

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

A question of teeth

Post by Mollycat »

Molly, age 14, rescued at age 6 8 years ago, traumatised minimum handling cat.

Had what appeared to be a lump in the gum behind a lower canine, in view of age and minimum handling she was taken straight in for a dental 6 months ago without examination prior. She was kept in overnight and pre-op tests done, then scale and polish next day. This revealed that the "lump" was tooth resorption so that and a cracked molar on the other side were extracted.

Recovery seemed slow, she avoided anything but smooth pate foods for a long time, and no longer wants to play what was her favourite game of catching the wand toy and flossing her teeth with the string. There were no other signs of soreness around the mouth at first.

About 2 months ago she was back to normal with food and occasionally playing with her toy again but much less enthusiastically. For a few weeks now I have noticed she rubs her chin hard on the corner of the bed again, something she had not done since the dental. In the last week I caught her pawing at her mouth, the side where I spotted the lump.

My question is, generally but specially interested in views from people who have experienced tooth resorption, is she going back to a soothing behaviour because it's becoming painful again but hasn't been since the dental, or going back to her normal behaviour that she hasn't done since the dental because her mouth has been sore after the dental? I'm getting mixed messages, eating seems to say she has been sore and is fine now, the rubbing could be either, but the one-off pawing along with not returning to her favourite game is bothering me.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: A question of teeth

Post by Joe_Danger »

Hey Molly, hope I can be of some use for once, you're always so helpful to me.
Maybe if I share my experience with Mila's stomatitis it's going help shed some light on some things regarding your situation too.

When Mila's mouth was sore, she would drink a ton of water and would try to eat but avoid food, both dry and wet as well as pate style foods as they'd probably stick to her gums and that would hurt.

Regarding playing, she likes playing with strings/ropes and of course she'd pounce on the string but as soon as she'd put it in her mouth she'd spit it out again so she has been very reluctant to play properly the past month or two even when during periods when there is no more pain.
She still wants to play but is nowhere near as eager and only holds the string in her mouth for like a second as opposed to gnawing on it longer like before and like what the other cats do. So playing less enthusiastically is I believe normal.

What concerns me too is the fact she paws at her mouth and rubs it again, this, at least to me, shows discomfort.
So I think even tho she eats well now, there is room for concern if she does something she'd normally only do when in pain. The way Mila started her Stomatitis twice now (initially they thought it was her throat, remember? It was stomatitis then too) was she'd eat normally, but she'd drink A LOT of water.
In your case Molly seems to paw at her mouth, so yeah I know vet visits are very expensive there but they're going to have to give her a thorough examination.
Do they take x-rays for cat dental issues to make sure there's nothing left from the root of the extracted tooth?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thanks for your insight that is really helpful. Sounds like Mila does the same thing with strings and at first after Molly's dental she would do exactly that, spit it out, and then lost interest in the game altogether after a few attempts. She has only pawed at her mouth once though but the description from other people of how cats paw which is different to normal washing after a meal, that was what made me ask.

I am still watching closely because there doesn't seem to be an issue enough to put her through a vet visit and she is very relaxed and happy and cuddly at the moment, plus we have a house move trauma for her next week, so vet visits are balanced for her welfare, thankfully we can always find somewhere to borrow to pay for it if we need to.

So you think it might be sore again now?

I don't think they xray after a dental but I don't think they would have left some root in. She is so loving, much more than usual, but i don't know if that's because she is in more pain or less pain or no pain.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

If she only pawed once it might be nothing, but you're right now is not the time to take her to vets and stuff if you're moving.
Why not try that dental anti plaque thing? It seems to have done wonders for Mila, for now.
I also stand by the Soda Bicarbonate + Water concoction, it helped Mila tremendously and we only washed her gums with it for a few days. I assume Soda Bicarbonate is the same as Baking Soda...I'm a typical Balkan dude I know little about cooking sorry :) I think it's the same thing tho we also put it in the litterboxes so they don't smell not that they do much but still, it helps a ton with that as well.

Just get a syringe and rinse her gums with it if she'd let you
my persians are very good about that kinda stuff.....Spaska wil leat you alive
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

She sort of did it again this morning but it was in a catnip-induced washing frenzy, where tongue and paw don't coordinate so everything is all over the place and I try so hard not to laugh out loud.

No I can't do anything to Molly, even the vet knows not to give me tablets because I won't give them so for aftercare after her dental she had an injection of antibiotic but i had nothing to give her at home.

At the vets she is very well behaved, if I can get her there!
Mycatsaremykids
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mycatsaremykids »

Hi I'm looking for some guidance o have a14 yrs old with dental problems. I took a week ago found to have severe plaque and was not required to extract her teeth. She is @week after oh boy she is weird with 1sye closed she eats but makes like disgust face like food is sticking. I'm just worried how long would it take to get better . Her first time receiving anesthesia and the vet does not really reply my calls .I'm worried will she return the same she was pretty Alert