Urinary Issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cmthoen
New Cat Chatter

Urinary Issues

Post by cmthoen »

This has been going on for about a month now. Started with excessive licking of the privates. Peeing outside of the litter box and then actually leaking pee. She is constantly peeing now, like she has no control. So pillows, blankets, the carpet, potted plants, etc have been used to pee in. This is not normal for cats and not normal at all for Pippa. Everything in my home can be replaced, Pip cannot be. At this point she has been to the vet 3 times, I think this last time is the first time they have taken my concerns seriously. I will be looking for a second opinion, but maybe someone would be able to help with things to ask, things to pay attention to, etc. So basically, they thought it was a UTI at first and sent home antibiotics and pain meds. The second time they told me to switch to a urinary tract diet and add cosequin (joint supplement, that helps with urinary issues). This past weekend, she did not eat at all, was very lethargic and basically hiding. She is doing better now, but I took her to the vet earlier this week since that is extremely concerning. They had done an Xray before, so this time they did a sonogram and a blood panel. The blood results came back with everything "looking good", so no issues. Which is good, but I am so frustrated with hearing "well, it's not this". Something is obviously seriously wrong with her, and I am afraid my vet not doing more to figure out what the issue is is could potentially be worsening the issue by not acting now. Again, I am looking for a new vet to get a second opinion. But MAYBE someone else has dealt with something similar? I just want my baby to be okay.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Urinary Issues

Post by fjm »

My understanding is that UTIs in cats may be have bacterial infection as a primary cause, but are often triggered by stress - it can make diagnosis very difficult. Has anything changed in your house or routine? Her symptoms certainly sound like severe and painful cystitis - I hope you get a firm diagnosis and targeted treatment soon. It can often take several courses of ABs to clear a bad case, so perseverance may be the key.