cat litter

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bsh192
Returning Cat Chatter

cat litter

Post by bsh192 »

hello,
i am using breeder celect for my two cats. i wondered if anyone knew of/had any recommendations for reuseable or longer life cat litter. i am emptying this every few days after it gets soiled and smells bad. i wondered if there was such a thing as resusable litter? many things online just mention biodegradable but little on resuseable. seems like a lot of waste
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: cat litter

Post by booktigger »

I don't think I've ever heard of reusable litter, and bearing in mind it is used for wee and poo, don't think that would ever work. Breeder Select is just recycled paper pellets, so prob not that good with absorbing smells, so you could look into some other ones. A few of us use clumping litter, that way you take out the clumps of wee, and I can get a fortnight with one cat using a tray (used to be a month, but now she wees more due to her kidneys).
bsh192
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by bsh192 »

thank you for this info. can anyone recommend any good clumping litters? ive been looking online but so many mixed reviews.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

i've used several so perhaps can give some ideas and options.

Catsan Clumping litter, rather expensive, clay based, and dusty. It will glue the clumps to the litter try if the cat goes at the edges or if the litter level gets low. it did however have one of the best odour controls i've come across.

The next three are all corn kernel based so biodegradable, allegedly flushable but I don't think I would want to risk blocking the loo by doing that. All three were pretty much equal when it comes to odour control.

Siria, unfortunately no longer available in the UK otherwise I would happily go back to using it. It did have a slightly odd scent about it as it smelled of corn, but I rather liked it. It wasn't the best of clumping litters, the lumps being a bit friable, but it never glued itself to the bottom of sides of the tray.

Worlds Best Multicat Unscented Litter and Amazon Brand Lifelong Corn Cat Litter. i can truly say I find it hard to tell these apart. Both are more dusty than the Siria was and both smell and feel more like a clay based litter than the Siria did. The dust does settle better than the Catsan and doesn't seem to get kicked up when a cat digs. i think the grain size of Amazon Brand is slightly bigger but not by much. There is also not much in it when it comes to price either. Both do make nice solid clumps, but, while not as bad as the Catsan, they do tend to stick to the tray a bit more.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amerififer »

I use Golden Grey Master
It's a fine clumping litter, clumps well easy to scoop and lasts well too..
I order mine online Zooplus ( i'm in Scotland) and have it delivered.
Have tried many others over the years of owning/being owned by cats ;)
I find this one to be the best for me anyways.. Others opinions may vary :)
bsh192
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by bsh192 »

Ruth B wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 pm i've used several so perhaps can give some ideas and options.

Catsan Clumping litter, rather expensive, clay based, and dusty. It will glue the clumps to the litter try if the cat goes at the edges or if the litter level gets low. it did however have one of the best odour controls i've come across.

The next three are all corn kernel based so biodegradable, allegedly flushable but I don't think I would want to risk blocking the loo by doing that. All three were pretty much equal when it comes to odour control.

Siria, unfortunately no longer available in the UK otherwise I would happily go back to using it. It did have a slightly odd scent about it as it smelled of corn, but I rather liked it. It wasn't the best of clumping litters, the lumps being a bit friable, but it never glued itself to the bottom of sides of the tray.

Worlds Best Multicat Unscented Litter and Amazon Brand Lifelong Corn Cat Litter. i can truly say I find it hard to tell these apart. Both are more dusty than the Siria was and both smell and feel more like a clay based litter than the Siria did. The dust does settle better than the Catsan and doesn't seem to get kicked up when a cat digs. i think the grain size of Amazon Brand is slightly bigger but not by much. There is also not much in it when it comes to price either. Both do make nice solid clumps, but, while not as bad as the Catsan, they do tend to stick to the tray a bit more.
thank you. the clumping seems to be more expensive. i thought it might be more cost-effective by changing it less, but the bags are such small qunatities i'd end up needing multiple for more than one cat.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Amerififer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 am I use Golden Grey Master
It's a fine clumping litter, clumps well easy to scoop and lasts well too..
I order mine online Zooplus ( i'm in Scotland) and have it delivered.
Have tried many others over the years of owning/being owned by cats ;)
I find this one to be the best for me anyways.. Others opinions may vary :)
I can vouch for Golden Grey too - it worked out very economically but I don't use it any more because my back couldn't cope with the weight of the bags

I now use a very fine silicate litter https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat ... ter/502945 which ticks every box except price, but when you have to have a litter box in your sitting room odour control becomes the major factor
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

This is one of the ones I've been using recently
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Brand-L ... 6abc2e4acc
Trust me that is not a small bag, and the Worlds Best I also tried was a similar sized bag, while I know I'm not the strongest of people I personally wouldn't want to try and move a bag larger than 25l. They do sell them in smaller bags and they probably would be worth it to see if your cat likes it, but I don't think you need worry long term about not being able to get large bags.

In the end if you don't like clumping litter, you don't like it, and cat litter really is such a personal preference which is why it is hard to say which is best.