BEST CAT LITTER?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
NO NAME
New Cat Chatter

BEST CAT LITTER?

Post by NO NAME »

In your honest opinion which is the all round best cat litter to use? Taking into account :-
odour control
ease of cleaning/removing
disposal

thanks
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: BEST CAT LITTER?

Post by booktigger »

I don't think you will find a definitive answer to this question, there are so many different factors, mainly what the cat likes!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

A lot of it is personal preference and the cat preference. Several years ago when my Mum had to go into a home i took in her old cat. My Mum told me that she wouldn't use a litter tray and insisted on using the garden in all weathers, as I knew she had to be kept in for a month of so, i was prepared to go and by garden soil to put in her litter tray if that was what was needed. When we got home with her, after a 2 hour car trip, we let her out in her room and she went straight to the litter tray and started digging. My Mother insisted on using the wood pellet litter just covering the bottom of the tray, as she had when the cat was a kitten, i used a fine grained clay based clumping litter at the time and deep filled the trays, that was what made all the difference, even after she was allowed out, she came back inside when she wanted to go as she preferred the litter tray.
Now I've changed from clay based to corn kernel based as more environmentally friendly, even if I don't compost it and it goes for incineration, it isn't depleting the natural resources and uses up a waste product from the food industry. The one thing i do know, i wouldn't willing change to a non clumping option now, unless I ended up with a cat that wouldn't use the clumping ones.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I don't think there is one best litter - what works well for one small kitten can be completely useless for two cats with failing kidneys! Most sensible way is to try small sample bags before investing in huge sacks.