Advice for my manx cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
victoria-lilyXO
New Cat Chatter

Advice for my manx cat

Post by victoria-lilyXO »

(He does have a vet appointment booked for this week but just seeking some advice)
Hi everyone,
I adopted my manx cat Bubbles around 4 1/2 years ago (he was a fully grown adult cat when we found him). He was a stray in my area, was of good health and he bonded with my resident cat.
He started having a spraying/wee problem about 3 years ago (nothing in my house has changed or doesn't seem stressed in any other way.) we hardly ever knew he was doing it sometimes because it never smelled (up until last week) and didn't do it as often.
But about a month ago his behaviour has really changed. He went from being hungry every hour (my vet didn't find any health problems that was causing him to be like this) to now recently not seeming like he has an appetite. It also would seem he has a decreased water intake which I am really concerned about. Now Blood and what looks like tissue is appearing in his urine, he sleeps a lot more, keeps biting his back legs.
His whole persona has changed and I just have a bad feeling.
I'm just seeking advice in prep for his appointment, does his symptoms sound like anything? I'm very aware of the health problems that the Manx breed is prone to and as well as Manx syndrome. I'm curious to know if this is something he might have. Also is there anything to help with his spraying and weeing? Its starting to get out of control and its damaging my home, my grandad who I live with has a severe lung disease and ofcourse amonia is dangerous for him. We have tried everything, calming sprays, destressing scents and everything but just nothing works. His never on his own and always has access to the garden.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice for my manx cat

Post by fjm »

I would get him to the vet ASAP. It sounds as if it could be a serious urinary issue, and those can be very dangerous for male cats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice for my manx cat

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds like poor Bubbles has been going very gradually downhill for a very long time as your efforts haven't been getting to the root of his problems.

To be honest if I found blood in my cat's urine along with losing interest in everything and not eating or drinking, I think I would have asked for an emergency appointment rather than later this week. And you don't say how long you have been trying calming sprays and potions but if something doesn't work there has to be a point when you move onto other possible solutions. Psychological distress can be hard to work out but important, and calming sprays and diffusers can be part of that but cannot replace understanding and solving. With your grandfather's health issues as well it's urgent to get this poor lad some help.

A lot of the signs you mention point towards bladder or kidney infection or worse, while initial spraying all those years ago can be territory marking and psychological distress or a urinary infection and physical distress. A mild infection left untreated can lead to serious problems later on, cats are so good at hiding pain it could be this is just the point where he is in so much distress he just can't hide it any more, it isn't necessarily that something has changed.

This might be a complicated situation to unravel, I do hope you can get some resolution very soon.