Advice needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catzfan18
New Cat Chatter

Advice needed

Post by Catzfan18 »

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I have a senior cat who has lost a huge amount of weight over the last few months. (In fact he is now just skin and bones, and he was a large cat). I had his bloods done back in March, which showed stage 1 kidney disease and anaemia. He also had a small mass in his intestines. However, they failed to test for thyroid issues?! He was still eating well and seemed well in himself, so no further action was taken. In time he continued to lose weight so I sought a second opinion, thinking it may be hyperthyroidism as he had a voracious appetite and became very demanding. They decided that, due to his age, and the fact that he still seemed OK in himself, that the best course of action was to just monitor him. However, in the last few weeks, he has gone downhill dramatically: He is very weak (he's missing his front left leg anyway which doesn't help), and frequently falls over now. He is unable to manage the stairs.i saw a vet online on Sat eve who thought it may be hyperthyroidism or diabetes, but advised further investigation. Up until yesterday he was still eating well, as well as drinking lots. He's still using the litter tray, but not excessively. He hasn't eaten anything today, but he has drunk a little water. I've got a vet appointment this afternoon, but I'm really fearing the worst. :( Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks. Worried Mummy. :(
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice needed

Post by fjm »

Frankly I would suspect a combination of issues, given the mass in his intestines. The weight loss could be HT, kidneys, or cancer - I hope your vet will be able to give you a firm diagnosis and prognosis this afternoon, but sometimes it is a process of elimination, needing several rounds of tests. If it is wholly or partly HT that is very treatable, kidney disease can be controlled with diet for some considerable time, and even some cancers are manageable with steroids and other inexpensive drugs, so don't despair, but I would be prepared for a serious discussion about treatment options and quality of life.
Catzfan18
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catzfan18 »

Thank you fjm. X
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I would also be more concerned about the mass in his intestines rather than put him through blood tests for hyper-t, the anaemia is more likely caused by his mass than his kidney issues, and it could be that it's preventing him absorbing nutrients, causing weight loss despite a good appetite. Have they suggested anything like steroids to try and control the mass?