Away for 4 weeks..

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Inle
New Cat Chatter

Away for 4 weeks..

Post by Inle »

Hi, me and my husband will be going away on holiday for 4 weeks this winter. I can't decide where to leave my cat during this period. She is 3 y and a very nervous cat. She is very unsocial and in fact hisses at any stranger who may try to approach her. With me and my husband she is good as gold but not other people- even family members that she has seen numerous times she can get firstly if she try to touch her. We had instances where she bit the vet and a cat sitter (I assume she tried to smooch her lol)
And I really can't decide what is best. I am afraid if she stays on a cattery she won't eat for a week like she did once before and people may not comprehend don't touch policy and get hurt and she will be very stressed. At home seems better as it's familiar environment for her so less stress. Of course she will have to be strictly Indoors for the 4 weeks to ensure safety. She can have visits every other day with a day gap from family to feed her wet good, top up water and change litter try. At the same time she will be provided with a large bowl of dry food at all times so she won't go hungry between visits. But I am worried she may be lonely during 4 weeks... But at the same time it's not like she likes company of others, except me and my husband.
Please advise what do you think is best ?

Many thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Away for 4 weeks..

Post by Kay »

this could be an opportunity to get her used to people other than yourselves, as you will be gone for 4 weeks

Do you know anyone who would live in for the 4 weeks? apart from your cat, keeping the house heated would be a good idea, as you are going away in the winter - someone responsible but not bothered about getting close to her would be ideal

failing that, I would look for a good cattery, as I do feel 4 weeks is a long time to leave a cat home alone - most won't be too busy in the winter, so you should have your pick, and can go for one which will take on the challenge of a cat who is reluctant to eat
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I really would consider a cattery. Four weeks alone will only increase her 'feral' behaviour and her skittishness with humans. Until my cat family got too big I use a lovely 'cat hotel' where they had a nice room and caring, experienced attention every day. My then skittish ex-feral kitten, who would only ever been seen by us, came home much more chilled than when she went. The staff were lovely, understood cats, and gently brought her out of herself. The individual attention every day, in a confined space, but with toys and all home comforts, can really help a nervous cat to relax.

You have time so why don't you start checking out local catteries - visit and see how other cats look, and don't necessarily rely on what other people tell you - see what they say when you tell them about your cat. You'll soon get an idea how sensitively they treat cats in their care.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kay and Jacks, 4 weeks seems an awfully long time to leave a cat alone for most of the time, and a cattery will have had experience of all varieties of cat temperament. Have a long chat with the catteries as you select one, and they should be able to put your mind at rest.
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andrea8411 »

I visited a lot of catteries when I first had my cats and decided it wasn't for me (or them) so I looked for a solution for them to stay at home.
I travelled often reason why I decided to have 2 cats so they could keep each other company depending on the length I am away. I have friends, neighbours and also uses a website called housesittersuk.co.uk if I am away for a longer time.
I find the website very good and you can take up references.
I have a lady who is semi retired and happy to live in my house while I am away, my cats also do not like people fussing them, they will come to you if they want stroking, I explained this to her and after the first few days they start to sit with her in the evenings one even goes to bed with her at night.
I enjoy my travels much more knowing they are happy while I am away.
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

We use a website called trustedhousesitters.co.uk, and have found several house/cat sitters through that to be trustworthy and Millie-friendly.

I also think four weeks is too long to leave her on her own, and if I'm honest, I would never even contemplate only having someone go in to see my cat every other day. It would have to be twice a day, every day.