Cat and Baby

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
eggson27
New Cat Chatter

Cat and Baby

Post by eggson27 »

My wife and I are expecting a baby girl any day now. Our cat (3-year-old male) is extremely cuddly and affectionate, and also a little bitey (usually when overstimulated, but sometimes it seems completely random). We're a little nervous that he may get jealous/confused/overwhelmed by his new human companion and try to bite her. We're also a little concerned that he may try to sneak into the bassinet with her (very friendly, but not so great for baby..) We'll obviously keep a very close eye on him, but it's not like we can be awake 24/7 to watch over our nocturnal cat. He sleeps on our bed every night so he'll be around the bassinet while we're sleeping. Any thoughts?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat and Baby

Post by fjm »

Congratulations on becoming a parent! Cat Chat has a useful page: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/blog/1938 Ideally you would have already started to adjust your cat's routine to accommodate the new arrival, but better late than never. I am not at all sure about sharing your bedroom with both cat and baby though - you may be able to find something like the old fashioned pram nets to keep the cat from actually getting into the crib, but if it jumps up there may still be ructions...