cat is stressed after losing his brother

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

cat is stressed after losing his brother

Post by ladymissk »

Hi, my old cat Milo passed away on Monday, he was 18...but his brother just cant settle since. He keeps walking in and out of the house, eating tons more than he did, and its really upsetting to see. Ive got Feliways which just dont seem to be doing anything at all. Hes getting extra cuddles of course, but any ideas what we can do to help?
Fifi2021
New Cat Chatter

Re: cat is stressed after losing his brother

Post by Fifi2021 »

I'm so sorry about Milo and that his brother is so upset. I don't have any specific advice but it sounds like you are already doing everything you can, lots of love and attention to distract and help him feel less lonely, and hopefully with time he will be less sad.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Cats grieve too, it hasn't even been a week. This is in the normal range of reactions. Distressing as it is to see, and believe me I've been there, it takes time and being there for him when he wants you. Not a good time to push affection on him, nor to be too busy for him. Just be responsive to his needs and his moods, encourage him but don't push him.

If his brother has passed at the vets and his body left there to be cremated, that can be harder for them as they don't get to know what happened. If a cat is lost suddenly, it can help to show the surviving cat the body, so that they can have their time to say goodbye. If anyone thinks I'm being melodramatic, I have seen both pets and wildlife sit by a body for a while before moving away, and cats sitting at the grave of their sibling if they were buried in the garden.

The best thing you can do is be calm and normal, keep routine as much as possible, just slow down a little to have your own grieving time and his, make more time for him even if you just sit in the same room and read or watch TV but just be there. If you give him every opportunity and are calm and gentle enough so he feels he can trust you with his sadness, he will communicate to you what he needs. If you become anxious about him though, you will make things much harder for both of you. Grieving isn't a problem to be solved or illness to be cured.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thank you for your replies. Milo died at home, the vet who attended did say sometimes it's quite positive for the other cat to see the body, but I didnt feel comfortable doing it. I'm trying to keep things normal for him, it's the excessive eating thats worrying me most. Hes gone to hide in his little igloo now so I'm just leaving him until he comes out. Hes getting lots of cuddles and is being more spoilt than usual, I've also ordered a Pet Remedy diffuser seeing Feliway doesnt seem to be working.