Help - Post Anesthetic

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mblakely
Returning Cat Chatter

Help - Post Anesthetic

Post by Mblakely »

Oliver had a dental cleaning, 1 tooth extraction (was an extra tooth super tiny), blood work and ultrasound today. Went under anesthetic and had a breathing tube etc.

First 5 hours of him being home was horrible. Completely disoriented, like he was drunk and falling over. Was shaking and bobbling.

He ate a bit of wet food. Then went and laid down. I begun to notice with every breath he was gargling. I called the vet during night hours and they had me send a video. Said he wasn't in distress but the gurgling was abnormal.

They said it's either mucus in his throat from the tube that will just need to clear or it is water in his lungs from his stomach while he was under.

They have me monitoring him.

If its either of those things should I be concerned? Since talking to the vet I've established he only gurgles when he's laying down, but not if sitting standing or moving. Every once in awhile it sounds like he tries to clear his throat which is extremely wheezy gurgly sounding.

I'll be calling them again tomorrow but am up late monitoring him so thought I would look here to see if anyone else had a similar experience or advice?

Thank you!