Cage rest

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hattymatilda+george
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cage rest

Post by hattymatilda+george »

Hello,
I posted here about a week ago in regards to my cat George who has a fractured pelvis.
He is now on his second week of cage rest and he is not enjoying it one bit. We just had a big scare as I opening his door to clean out his cage (he had kicked litter everywhere and upturned his water bowl which is an at least twice daily occurance) and he pelted it out of the door and down the stairs. We managed to entice him back into his carry case and back into his cage but I feel awful and stupid. He seems to be walking around okay so fingers crossed he hasn't re injured him self. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't not open his door and I need to feed him and he's also a very affectionate cat and I feel 6 weeks without physical attention would be detrimental to his well being. He's also trying to climb the side of the cage.
I'm certain he's going to reinjure himself. We have puzzle feeders and toys in his cage for him but nothing seems to be working. We have at least four weeks left.
Please help :(
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cage rest

Post by fjm »

Where is the crate, and do you have room for more than one? It can be hard to balance the need for security against his need for company, but if possible I would have his crate in a room with a door that closes and few tempting hidey holes, like a bathroom. If it is a small room perhaps it would be safe to let him out for short lap sessions, with you sitting on the floor and lifting him on and off, if your vet approves. Wherever it is, get into the habit of closing the room door before opening the crate, just in case.

Crate rest is miserable for an active animal and for their humans, but the alternatives are worse... Can your vet prescribe something to help him settle until he heals? You are over quarter of the way through = one more week or so and you will be past the half way mark. You and George can do this!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Oh dear, the troubles with cage rest. If its any consolation, you are not alone! Litter, food and water all over the place - had all that with Tilly. My Tilly escaped in her first week of cage rest - and did a bunk out the open room door and through the cat flap which I had left open for my other cat. Fortunately I caught her before she got out of the garden but she got her bandage wet so off to the vets she had to go to get a dry one (and managed to absorb all the vet nurses cooing over her as per usual).
Her brief foray did not do her any damage (neither did the exertions brought on by the mouse Badger caught for her 3 weeks later).
My solution to the problem was to have two cages side by side, both cages with two doors (I think most of them do). That way, you can have two open doors adjacent and can slide a bit of plywood down between the cages to keep George in one whilst you clean out the other. It also gives a bit more space, so they do not have to sleep and eat in the same space as their litter tray. Tilly was much happier with her litter tray in a separate compartment.
hattymatilda+george
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by hattymatilda+george »

We've got two cages now but only one has two doors. I think our plan going forward is to keep one downstairs and one upstairs (where he is at the moment) and transfer him between the two using his carry case. This way he can have family downstairs with me, my partner and his sister but also quiet time in the spare bedroom. Will also free up the main cage for cleaning. I just want to make sure I'm keeping his as safe as possible whilst avoiding depression.

Any tips on preventing him from climbing the side of the cage or tipping his water bowl? :?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Two crates sounds like a good idea if you can move him safely. Putting a false ceiling in the crate should stop him climbing the walls - hardboard or thick cardboard, holes cut to take tapes or cable ties and attached at a suitable level would be my fix. Cardboard might be easier as you could fold it to fit it through a door, then unfold it inside. I have dealt with tipping bowls by putting a smallish bowl inside a large flat one - it still gets tipped eventually but most of the water is trapped by the larger bowl. If he will drink from a drip water bottle - the sort sold for rabbits - that might be even better.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

We recently had a dog on rest which was awful and he was crated at night. We got a hamster feeder bowl from Pets at Home with a wire clip that holds it to the cage bars. You can also get them online. Should stop spillages, but obviously place it low enough for a cat.

As always I'm going to suggest reiki if you have some money to spare, even one session can really help calm them for quite some time. Also just to sit with him and talk and read to him, or watch TV with him, just be there together. He should slow down and calm down with you.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I didn't have the problem you have with keeping Tilly amused, as my other cat Badger spent most of his time in the same room as Tilly, keeping her company. He slept on the spare cat bed I had put on top of her cage to be ready for a quick change of bedding when Tilly spread her food all over her bed (i.e. every mealtime).
Regarding water, I had a semicircular bowl that could be clipped to the lowest horizontal cage bars - I think it came with the water fountain I bought them as kittens. Otherwise, maybe try a ceramic hound dog bowl ( see https://www.jarrold.co.uk/departments/h ... f-dog-bowl for example) which is designed to keep dog ears out of their dinner but has the advantage of being heavy and having a broad base that is not easy to tip over.