Barney now allowed out and total change of character !

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Barney now allowed out and total change of character !

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi all . . For those that know us will know that we got Barney from blue cross centre October last year, we kept him in until about a month ago and gave him the choices to venture outside, which he loves, he never ventures out of the garden and is a happy little fella I bring him in about 7pm at night that's his curfew ! . . He is fine with that .. But . . Previous to him going out he always cuddled up to us on the sofa and bed to sleep . . Since going outside, he will not sit on our lap in the living room as he used to, or come upstairs at night to sleep on our bed as he always used to . . I miss the little fella a s he always gave me a cuddle and licked my eyelids in the early hours ! Since going outdoors he will not leave the area nearest the patio doors where he goes out . . He still loves to be cuddled but is very distant and won't come into the living room or bedroom. . It's like he is always wanting to be on watch near the garden ! . . Anyone else had the same ? . . I just miss my little fella biff my face in bed of a morning ,! Just wonder if this will wear off . . . Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Barney now allowed out and total change of character !

Post by bobbys girl »

Bobby was a little bit like that when he first got his 'freedom' after the op. It was 'oh no mum, no time to cuddle, I'm a busy busy boy'. But he has calmed down a bit now and comes for a cuddle when I'm watching TV.

Barney will probably come around when he is use to his new freedom and realises its for keeps! :D I know what you mean - it's so nice to be needed!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks bobbysgirl . He always slept along side us and did "the dough"on us both of a morning . . He loved a cuddle but now he just wants to sleep next tithe patio doors. . . Just miss him . . . He does not want to sleep next to us now . . .x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Mine went all independent on me once they'd gained confidence in the garden, but have started to spend a little more time indoors again now the novelty has worn off. I suspect you'll find he'll go back to his old routines once winter sets in, too, and he remembers the joys of a nice warm bed! :D

Glad to hear he's happy, though. :)
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Our Jess is like that, when he is not in his cat run he is crying because we have shut him in (only on a night....when we can entice him in far enough to get to the door and shut it before he runs out again). Its nice that they like being out, but I known what you mean about missing them. I'm hoping the novelty wears off as the weather gets colder :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Daz is a complete mummy's boy, he usually comes bounding over if I call him, follows me round the garden, and comes up to greet me as soon as my car pulls into the driveway. However, when he first discovered we had bunnies at the bottom of the garden he wasn't even coming in when I called him for dinner. I went searching, and found him sitting in some undergrowth staring intently at a rabbit hole - he barely even looked at me, and when he did that look said "Go away ....... I'm busy". I have to admit ....... I was quite hurt!

The novelty did wear off after a couple of weeks - he still spent a lot of time down there, but it was no longer an all-consuming obsession! :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Most definitely the weather and enjoying his freedom. Come the chillier weather he'll be more receptive to cuddles and laps.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Hi Julie & Barney it sounds like he has got a slight touch of what Cheyenne has lots of. I am sure you are aware that bonding with Cheyenne has as yet, to get off the ground. Once she found the great outdoors that is where she wanted to spend most all of her time. At least Barney comes in at Curfew time. With Cheyenne it's only ever where's my dinner I've come in for time. I wouldn't get too concerned and as greenkitty said come the chilly weather Barney will be looking for those warm home comforts again I'm sure. Cheyenne! well that's another story.