General advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cleo1979
New Cat Chatter

General advice

Post by Cleo1979 »

Hi all im a new user albeit have read many posts on here before.
We have 3 cats 2 semi feral brother and sister and 1 stray cat.
The 2 semi ferals we have had since feb 2020 adopting them at approx 3 months old.
They have never been out and have kept them as indoor cats .. is this cruel ?
the male doesn’t seem bothered but my little girl does try and get out of the door.. she is the friendliest out of the 2 will come for a petting and loves having a love, whilst the male will come and sit with you when he feels like it but will not be touched..
I’m not wanting to rush either of them to be lap cats I know this may never happen. When we took the stray in the male cat is so besotted with him he follows him everywhere and he’s happy for him to do so 😄 . Our dilemma is should we be letting the feral cats out ? And I would like to introduce a cat friendly rescue dog, would it be wise to do so or would the “ferals” retreat to hiding away ? Does anyone have any advice they can share ?
Thanks in advance
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: General advice

Post by Ruth B »

While mine are free to roam I don't believe that it is cruel to keep cats indoors only and in some situations it is the best option. The problem comes in keeping cats indoors and not giving them enough to do and to amuse them. As I have heard it said 'the devil makes work for idle paws' and when they get bored is when the problems start. It may be that they will be fine always being inside, but it could be that they will develop behavioural issues which are nearly always brought on by boredom or too many cats in too small an area. If you make sure they have enough space, think vertically as well as at floor level and plenty of windows to look out of, and toys to play with (treat toys can be a great way of giving a cat something to occupy its time and that gives it a reward at the end), as well as plenty of beds, litter trays, food and water bowls so there is never any way for one to find the others blocking access to what they want, you will probably be fine.

On the other hand is there any reason that you can't let them out. Some people live in areas where it isn't really safe to due to the animals or people in the area, or the cats have a medical issue that means they wouldn't be safe free to roam, or the property hasnt' anywhere suitable for a catflap. However I've taken in 2 cats that were both indoor only cats, one was 3 when I got him the other was 2, and both adapted to having free access to outside without a problem. Others find putting in a small catio so the cats can at least experience all the scents from outside carried on the breeze is enough to mean they aren't bothered about venturing further.

As far as the dog goes, I can't really answer that one as I've never had a dog, nothing against them, but my life was never suited to the type and size of dog i would want, so I have just stayed with the cats.
Cleo1979
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cleo1979 »

Ah thanks Ruth b .. they definitely have lots of enrichment toys and we do change them so it mixes things up for them the stray does go out and is “street wise” we live on a main road at the front with fields at the back so my worry would be if they started investigating at the front of the house.. I may look into a catio for them so they have the fresh air and smells of outdoors .. thank you 😊
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If you decide to look into a catio, make sure you have planning permission, I've heard a few people recently realising that it is a requirement and having to fight to keep them
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I have never liked the indoor cat thing, but it came to a choice between indoor cats and no cats, so I took indoor cats. Since then, in the past 8 years, in just the housing estate of about 6000 homes where I live, we have had several deliberate cat death incidents and I intervened in a dog attack, saving the cat's life but too late to save a leg. plus there are all the disappeared. Each time, and every time I see a cat run across the road, or sit tight and glare at my dog as we go past, I feel so thankful that mine are safe. I hate feeling like this, but I do.

I do still believe cats miss out on a lot when they have no access to outdoors, and even a little in a catio or going out on a lead. But in some places those are far outweighed by the risks in letting them roam. My local rescue don't give kittens to indoor only homes, only adult cats that are already indoor and happy or must be indoor or put to sleep because they are a danger to themselves or others.

In your situation if you did want to let them run free in the fields there is a lot you can do to discourage them from going towards the road, but no guarantees. I'll happily share my secret if you want to know more. A few years ago we stayed at a guest house in Scotland (with all its wildlife) next to a busy fast road where they had two free roaming rabbits. They never left the huge garden but there was no barrier to stop them. At night they had a stable, not a hutch. They were happy rabbits and the brave owners said of course they were well aware of the risks but would rather their bunnies had two years of freedom and happiness than six of misery in a cage.

As for a dog, we have a dog, my partner found him and bottle fed him and raised him with cats all his life, but outdoors he still has a chase instinct. He's a good dog and I don't worry he would hurt them but I do worry a cat might run from him into the road, so I never fully relax when we're off lead near a road. And we know his history. I would never fully trust a rescue dog with cats - personal thing, I just wouldn't. You don't know their history or their triggers. You don't know what's in a mixed breed. Many people integrate a rescue dog successfully, I just don't really trust them, maybe I don't know dogs well enough.
Cleo1979
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cleo1979 »

Thanks for advice everyone much appreciated…