Severe constipation and Rogue movements of mouth.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Barwen18
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Severe constipation and Rogue movements of mouth.

Post by Barwen18 »

Hi
> Please help. My 9 year old Bengal girl.
>Last Monday she started making chewing movements although nothing in her mouth. She did this 2 years back and our vet diagnosed tooth decay and had to remove several teeth. She also discovered a fistula at the rear of her upper back gum area. She has been fine until Monday as mentioned. I took her to the vet and after looking in her mouth she said it was clear and and did not see signs of tooth decay or gum problem. She assumed it was an ear infection. She gave an anti emetic as she had started to vomit plus an antibiotic jab to help clear her ear problem. I was convinced that it was still a tooth issue as the actions were exactly the same as before. She gave her some edible cream to assist with her constipation although she had been regular up until the visit to the vet and had passed that very morning. Well now it’s Saturday and she is still making these chewing movements and has not had a bowel motion since Monday even with the medication. I can only take Angel to the local animal rescue shelter on Monday as they only have a vet 3 times a week. Due
> to financial circumstances I can’t afford to take her to a private vet. It cost me over a thousand pounds for her last surgery and exhausted my
> savings and now on a state pension. What can I do? I am so concerned. She still wants to eat badly but I have started to limit this from this morning as she has not yet passed.
> She is still drinking but not as much as before. Will she last until Monday is my concern with her not passing a motion. Maybe the chewing issue can wait but not her constipation.
Has anyone any advice or similar problems.
Barwen18
New Cat Chatter

Re: Severe constipation and Rogue movements of mouth.

Post by Barwen18 »

Hi
Although no one here got back to me I wanted to update on my Bengal girl. Things were not looking good so I just had to call a local vet their nurse told me that their consultation fee was £140 as Saturday evening plus another £300 for sedation and enema. I just haven't got that sort of money. They asked me to get back to my rescue centre but after several times of trying I was not getting a reply. Two hours elapsed when I received a phone call from the vet asking how things were going on. I told the vet that no good contacting animal rescue. There was a momentary pause and I couldn't believe that I was asked to come on over. I ended up paying just £6.00 in total including the enema! Shocked or what ? I don't think it was her own practice either. I am not going to name who or where just in case this was an act of kindness that should not have happened. Wow! This vet obviously really cares. I want to add that I do everything by the book as regards to caring for my girl. The vet told me it just can happen and it creeps up on you. I am not a scrounger using animal rescue. I have worked all my life as a nurse and my wife passed last year. Things are just not going well at the moment and money being one of the main problems. Oh the rogue mouth movements were caused by small amounts of gastric fluid coming up into her mouth due to the constipation. Just thought I would add that one as I know of a few cat owners who have queried peculiar rogue mouth movements.
I just had to talk about this Angel of a vet and that not all are in the business just for the money.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Glad your girl has been seen and at least the emergency is dealt with. Sorry nobody got back to you but in emergencies the internet is no substitute for an animal healthcare professional, I'm not really sure what anyone here could have done to help other than tell you to call a vet! Hoping you can get some answers on the chewing thing as well.

If you're in the UK there is always the PDSA, if you only have the basic state pension you might be eligible for Pension Credit which I believe should qualify you for PDSA help. A lot of people on basic state pension don't realise PC is available to meet the Minimum Income Guarantee and as it is a means-tested benefit it qualifies you for a lot more help.
Admin - would it be ok to link a website that checks for possible benefit eligibility please?
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am Glad your girl has been seen and at least the emergency is dealt with. Sorry nobody got back to you but in emergencies the internet is no substitute for an animal healthcare professional, I'm not really sure what anyone here could have done to help other than tell you to call a vet! Hoping you can get some answers on the chewing thing as well.

If you're in the UK there is always the PDSA, if you only have the basic state pension you might be eligible for Pension Credit which I believe should qualify you for PDSA help. A lot of people on basic state pension don't realise PC is available to meet the Minimum Income Guarantee and as it is a means-tested benefit it qualifies you for a lot more help.
Admin - would it be ok to link a website that checks for possible benefit eligibility please?
Yes you may post the link
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so glad you found such kindness in an emergency, and that your girl is now more comfortable. Definitely worth looking at whether you are eligible for pension credit and for help from the PDSA - a little extra makes a big difference when things are really tight.
Barwen18
New Cat Chatter

Post by Barwen18 »

Hi
Thank you for getting back to me. I definitely wasn’t suggesting no one cared to get back to me. Only that if anyone did view my post they would feel reassured that my girl was seen and looked after.
Kind Regards Barwen
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Barwen18 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:01 pm Hi
Thank you for getting back to me. I definitely wasn’t suggesting no one cared to get back to me. Only that if anyone did view my post they would feel reassured that my girl was seen and looked after.
Kind Regards Barwen
It's ok nobody thinks anything bad. How is she doing now? Is her funny chewing any better at all?