Tips for encouraging eating after facial trauma / broken jaw

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HuckMarm
New Cat Chatter

Tips for encouraging eating after facial trauma / broken jaw

Post by HuckMarm »

Hi 👋
One of our cats (rescued via RSPCA a few years ago now), had a bad car accident about two weeks ago. He took most of the impact in his poor little face and it has been pretty life changing for him. Vets were amazing and despite the odds stacked against him, they managed to stabilise him, later requiring his jaw. As the jaw went back together so we’ll they hoped he would start trying to eat but he just wouldn’t. He’s home again now with an oesophageal feeding tube to help build him up again. Poor little fella also then came down with a UTI and mild cat flu - so we totally get that he is feeling rubbish. Now the antibiotics have kicked in he is using the litter tray independently again but apart from that just wants to sleep. Although his lower jaw was rewired he can’t seem to close his mouth / keep it closed, vet did discover a fracture in his skull in a subsequent x Ray which could be the issue. Our primary focus is on building him up & helping him recover - I just wondered if anyone has been through any sort of similar experience with their kitty & any tips or tricks that worked for encouraging them to try eating again. We have tried different foods / warming up to release smells & use a feliway room plug. I’m not convinced how well he can smell after his accident / snotty nose. I’m hoping that time & patience will make the difference needed. Any stories of success would be welcomed so very much.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tips for encouraging eating after facial trauma / broken jaw

Post by fjm »

Poor little cat - it sounds as if it has been a pretty awful couple of weeks for both of you.

I have had some success getting reluctant cats to eat with tiny scraps of raw liver (very small quantities - think a small teaspoonful a day); Gourmet Gold Melting Heart; and that old stand by Lik-e-Lix.

I hope he continues to improve.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

have you tried using a blender to puree food? something stinky like tuna, perhaps
HuckMarm
New Cat Chatter

Post by HuckMarm »

Thank you both - I will try those tips. He has another day visit to the vets tomorrow, he is still really snotty bless him which I don’t think helps with appetite :(