Spraying in protest!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sam66
New Cat Chatter

Spraying in protest!

Post by Sam66 »

Hi, I have a 5 year old Oriental boy. In the last 12 months, if the catflap is locked, or a door is shut over so that he cannot get out, he will spray against numerous things. It has now got to the point that he is spraying my partner's head in bed if the catflap is locked. Is there any way we can stop this? We have used the Feliway in case he is stressed - no relief. He will spray on chairs, cushions, walls, skirting boards, absolutely anything vertical and now my partner's head/face!!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Spraying in protest!

Post by fjm »

Is there a reason for not letting him out? And does he have at least one tray?
Sam66
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sam66 »

Hi,

Yes he has 2 trays - cleaned out every time it is used. We keep him in overnight, otherwise he can go out. But the problem is also when he is in the house and the doors are closed over. Thanks.,
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

It sounds to me like a insecure territorial issue ie when he feels the need to check any of his territory for intruders and his access is denied he resorts to spraying to relieve the stress. Is he neutered? Have any intruding cats had access via the cat flap maybe? It could also be effected by a new cat in the neighbour hood he has conflict with and /or cats which visit your garden when he's not around or doesn't have access to defend his patch.Observing his behaviour closely indoors and out is the first step I would do, is he constantly at windows checking outdoors when he's shut in, does he seem relaxed outdoors or nervous, when you let him out is he checking the outdoors thoroughly for scent of other cats and spraying outside. Also if you have a cat flap other cats could use change it for a micro chip one if possible