Cat diarrhea, refusing to eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Olafsmom
New Cat Chatter

Cat diarrhea, refusing to eat

Post by Olafsmom »

Hi! So my 6 month cat has explosive diarrhea and has stopped eating. We visited the vet and he checked her temperature and it was fine. He gave her Metronidazole for 5 days and told me to force feed her rice baby food if she still refuses to eat. I'm so worried about her. How much baby food should i give her? How often should i feed her and when should i stop?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat diarrhea, refusing to eat

Post by fjm »

In terms of frequency/quantity I would ask your vet - it will depend upon your cat's size and condition. Cats can become ill if they do not eat for a few days, which is why syringe feeding has been suggested. Something bland is less likely to further upset her tum - rice is known for soothing and binding in digestive upsets.

If you cannot contact the vet I would try a couple of teaspoonfuls every hour or two to start with and see if she will lick it from the syringe. If she hates the baby food there are alternatives - you can cook a little white rice (ideally short grain like risotto or pudding rice, but any you have in the cupboard will do) in plenty of water with half a skinless chicken breast, and puree it into a gruel. There are also highly palatable prescription foods available that can be syringed if mixed with a little water, or one of the liquid diets (not milk, as that could make her diarrhoea worse).