Help me protect my cat please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jeremiahbush04
New Cat Chatter

Help me protect my cat please

Post by jeremiahbush04 »

I have a 7 year old female cat and there are two males in this house and one of them is an alpha cat. The alpha cat has been acting up lately pooping everywhere. I am extremely worried about how he acts towards my female cat because he has tried to mount her before. They are all fixed which some people say should take care of that issue but I am not convinced. I live in the basement (where all of the litter boxes are) and my room is section'd off by sheets. (No door to shut) He has never come in my room before but he was in my room today. I shoe'd him out of my room and he sat directly outside of my sheets and challenged me when I tried to shoe him further. This is the first time he has challenged me and I'm not sure what to do. There have been two occasions lately where I have come home and my cat has been licking at the spot where his claws have been placed to mount her before. I am extremely worried about this and the owner of the home will not let me separate the cats on different floors. (all of the litter boxes have to be in the basement). I am not sure how cats participate in sexual behavior but I inspected her butthole and vagina area and did not see anything unusual. Is that a good bet on determining whether anything has happened? My next step is too shave my cat so I can see whether she is getting mounted or not because I am disgusted. Also, the cat will not leave the basement still which is very unusual (always spends his time upstairs) (my female cat is always in the basement)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help me protect my cat please

Post by Mollycat »

\Please do not shave your cat! You won't be able to "see" anything and if she is neutered she can't have kittens. The only issue is if she is in distress or if there is some serious problem for you, but it might help if you understand some basics of natural cat behaviour.

You say she is licking where he puts his claws when he tries to mount her. In sexual behaviour the male does not use his claws, he holds the female by the scruff of the neck using his teeth. So what is this cat doing with his claws, is it maybe a wrestling hold?

There is no such thing as an "alpha" cat, it just isn't how cat society is set up. If you mean he is a strong character, or isn't a soft cuddly lap cat, or is aggressive towards other cats, fine, but cats don't have a hierarchy like that. Cat society is much more complex. If you could explain what you mean by "alpha" that could help us figure out what might be going on.

The same goes for him "challenging" you, what actually happened? He sat outside the boundary of your room? Did he hiss at you or try and scratch you, or maybe yowl at you?

What about your cat in all this, is she hiding, or trying to chase him away, or hissing and growling at him? Or is she quite happy with him being around? Is it just you feeling disgusted that your cat might be touched by a male, ar eyou worried about her getting pregnant?