Raw food or ready made ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Raw food or ready made ?

Post by papa cat »

I have written in previous postings about my indoor cat that had persistent diarrhoea, and that recently he has chosen to go outdoors (he was frightened of going outside until recently) also that he has been catching mice that he brought in the house.
A few things have changed in the last couple of months.
(1) He hasn't brought in any mice recently, I suspect he is now eating them.
(2) His diarrhoea has stopped, and he rarely uses the litter trays that are indoors.
(3) He almost never eats all the wet food I put down for him, just a small amount, he eats dry food instead.
Do think the above are linked, or just a coincidence ?

I found this on the internet https://www.thepawsitter.com/how-i-cure ... -his-life/
So I suspect eating raw food has remedied his diarrhoea and it was the manufactured wet food that was causing it, so I am considering switching him to prepacked raw food and weaning him on to it by mixing it with the remaining pouches of wet food that I have.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Raw food or ready made ?

Post by Mollycat »

Just a thought but if all's well and the Dire Rear resolved as things are right now, is there any need to make a full switch, or would it keep so many more options open to you to offer both?

What can happen is the gut needs a break to recover and give the intestinal flora a chance to recover (sometimes from a bug or antibiotics, anything that can upset the microbial balance) and after that is back to full capacity and able to take the old food again without issue. It doesn't necessarily mean that switching to raw will prevent any recurrence.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Raw food or ready made ?

Post by papa cat »

re point 2
I was mistaken, he has been making 'squitty noises' in the litter tray yesterday and still seems to have some diarrhoea so I'm presuming he is 'going' outdoors, thus his reduced use of the litter tray.
I have started him on 50/50 raw chicken (B.A.R.F) and Whiskas wet, mixed. He scoffs it down !!!
Recently I had only been feeding him once a day (in a covered microchip feeder) and he took all day to eat it. Yesterday he visited his feeder about four times in just a few hours and ate three quarters of it. I doubt that was good for him !
(We've all done that though, eaten a big meal and felt bloated afterwards)
Today I have only given him 100gm of the mix so he doesn't bolt it down so quickly, and I will give him the rest later.

BTW
I thought barf was American slang for vomiting!! B.A.R.F in the context of pet food means Bones and Raw Food.
I imagine though that if I ate B.A.R.F. I would undoubtedly barf :shock: :lol: