Cat refuses to eat solid food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
iamcatobsessed
New Cat Chatter

Cat refuses to eat solid food

Post by iamcatobsessed »

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed that my cat refuses to eat solid food. I checked its teeth and noticed that it has one brown tooth. I tried to touch nearby to see the reaction, but the cat resisted. I think that tooth hurts.

Can someone help me? What should I do? Is there anything I can do without vet?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat refuses to eat solid food

Post by fjm »

The tooth will probably need to be removed by a vet, and if one is so obviously causing problems there may be others also needing treatment. The longer you delay the worse it will get and the longer your cat will be in considerable pain. Infection in the mouth can cause problems throughout the body, too. Sorry if finances are tight, but I think this needs a vet visit ASAP.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I'm not a worrier but I'd be inclined to agree, quite apart from the pain of long term infection and the havoc on other body systems. I recently experienced it for myself, found out dentists had missed a bad infection for 6 years and once the offending tooth was out and two courses of antibiotics completed, a whole load of really weird symptoms that had baffled my doctor and caused me misery from exhaustion to food intolerances and hives, all vanished. In cats dental problems are even linked to chronic renal failure. Unfortunately sometimes a vet is needed. If it's any consolation at all, my little darlings have put us in debt that will take us 10 years to repay, it's a risk of having pets.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can only agree with the others, dental work at a vets may well be in order, if you have ever experienced tooth ache you will know how bad it can be.

I can also add that when one of my cats needed some dental work doing the vet did blood tests before hand and phoned to ask if i wanted to go ahead with the dental as Blue, the cat, was showing signs of kidney problems in the blood tests. The work needed doing so I said to go ahead and do regardless of the additional risks. Over the next year or so Blue had regular blood tests done and instead of getting worse as I expected, his kidneys improved, the damage to them had all be due to the infection in his mouth. Paying to have his teeth done meant he then was pain free and could eat normally, and saved us money from not having to treat long term kidney problems.