Kitty puts my clothes in water and food dish!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LexiieP
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Kitty puts my clothes in water and food dish!

Post by LexiieP »

Hi! My new kitty of about a month keeps putting my clothes (Or anything laying around really lol blankets, toys .. ) in her food and water bowls! :? She is trying to cover them, for whatever reason makes sense to her, but it's pretty annoying, since my clothes get wet, and usually it leaves her water bowl empty as all the water gets absorbed by the clothing. It's just kinda messy, and I was wondering if theres a way to make her understand she doesn't have to do this, or to keep her from doing it. She actually used to do it more when I first got her, and it's now just from time to time.

If there isn't a way to train or teach her to stop, I guess I'll just go make her a little "feeding cave" by putting everything under a box with a hole so she can go in and feels it's hidden enough lol Silly girl :roll:
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Kitty puts my clothes in water and food dish!

Post by Hazel »

One of our cats drown his prey (toys, leaves, stolen things) in his water bowl. Not sure if you can stop him but its probably a good idea to have another water bowl somewhere else that he can use when he's messed up that one. Apparently cats prefer their water to be not close to their food (something to do with not drinking water contaminated with dead things). Mika only ever drowns in the down stairs water bowl which is close to his food. The upstairs one gets used for drinking. After a while we just took the downstairs bowl away and he stopped. Maybe just coincidence though?!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Where do you place her food? I've seen, on wildlife programs, big cats cache their food up trees or buried, hidden from others who might nick it! Perhaps the 'feeding cave' is not such a bad idea. Either that or place it under a chair? Perhaps she's got it into her head that she must hide her food and your clothes are handy. :lol: Hopefully it's a phase and when she is more settled and use to you she will stop.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

My Henry tries to cover any left over food with anything left nearby. I have always assumed he was hiding it for later? :D

Welcome to CC by the way :D
LexiieP
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by LexiieP »

Thanks everyone :P I have two cats that dont get along just yet, so some of these options would be difficult for the moment, but I'll see what I can do!