Fussy cat re food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
paular
New Cat Chatter

Fussy cat re food

Post by paular »

Hi. I have a question about a fussy cat regarding food. We took in a rescue cat about 8 months ago. The cat is 11 years old. We got her from a family who said that she had a spotty past. she had a home, but it broke up, and then she was in a couple of other homes. I don't think she was specifically abused, I think she just had a lot of change in her life. And I think she was at home with other animals. So the issue we're having is around food. When we took her home, we are told to buy specific type of food. And we did that. And she was ravenous. I think the previous people were not feeding her quite enough. And the quality of food they suggest wasn't the best. So we tried her with a few other foods, and she was pretty fussy. And she won't go back to the original food generally speaking. So basically our issue now is that she's very fussy with food, food that she likes one day she will not eat the next day, she seems to be a social eater in that she wants to eat with us. In addition we often have to put a little treat on her food or be with her in order for her to eat. We don't have any other animals and we don't have any children. We're not sure what to do to help her with her eating problems. Any advice would help.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Fussy cat re food

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds to me like you have a very traumatised cat that has been shipped from home to home and never been able to fully relax. She sounds a lot like my girl, not abused or neglected but nevertheless unsettled. Funny thing is, mine made a big issue out of food too. Mine took the form that she was obsessed and would keep going back to the food bowl, especially when my other cat has been to his (they were next to each other) and so she ended up overeating. I couldn't limit her rations because she would get hyperanxious and aggressive with the other cat. In the end I invested in two microchip feeders, she got more secure, all settled and was good. Only telling this because I believe cats can use eating disorders to control their world like we can.

If yours is not losing weight, I would keep a wide range of different foods and offer random pouches if you feed wet and/or several pots with a small amount of different dry all around the house. then, relax, don't get anxious about what she is or isn't eating as long as her weight is relatively stable. Cats pick up on your anxiety, especially when they are in a new environment and need to figure out what's what. Whatever food she refuses, leave it down for the day and offer something else at the next mealtime, matter of fact, as if everything was fine. the dry food left lying around will allow her to get some calories even if it's not the best quality, and put your mind at rest, allowing her to relax in a relaxed atmosphere.
paular
New Cat Chatter

Re: Fussy cat re food

Post by paular »

Thank you for this. You remind me of the whole point. That she gets the nutrients that she needs and she finds a way to be comfortable. And us being stressed is not going to help that. Thank you!