My eldest cat has nasal cancer.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
GrayWulfe94
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

My eldest cat has nasal cancer.

Post by GrayWulfe94 »

Story time! Merlin is the oldest at 14 (will be 15 in March). Has been getting Prednisolone treatment for bowl inflammation for a few months successfully. He is physically strong and active and has been like a brother to me since my family adopted him when I was in middle school. Past month he has been also getting Amoxicillin for potential uri (congestion, sneezing, mouth breathing) with minimal success. I took him back to the vet today for a follow-up and was told he has a growth in his left nostril that is slightly pushing out. He was not our regular, and did not give specifics as to what he did to determine this such as x ray or a scope. The antibiotic was changed to Clavamox 1.0ml twice daily for seven days. He had given us the option of changing the antibiotic or increasing the prednisone to start. Again, not our regular doctor. The area in question is just below the bridge of his nose. This is very rare in cats and dogs I've read (1%?). Doing some research I found that abscesses can be mistaken for cancer. This is our first time going through either cancer or possibly abscess as all of our previous fur babies passed away from organ/renal failure. We are actively looking into a second opinion on him.

I've included pictures from yesterday of his left side of face. Sorry that these photos are huge.
Last edited by GrayWulfe94 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My eldest cat has nasal cancer.

Post by mr_frisky »

I'm not sure they can really confirm cancer without a biopsy, although I'm not a vet. A veterinary neurologist said that even MRI scans can't confirm cancer, they can just find lesions, which may or not be cancer.

Maybe the nasal symptoms such as sneezing suggests this?

One of my cats developed two 'lumps' under her nose in March, and the vets believed it was inflammation that may or may not go down (it hasn't, but no other symptoms).

What else did the vet say about your boy?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

mr_frisky wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:37 pm I'm not sure they can really confirm cancer without a biopsy, although I'm not a vet. A veterinary neurologist said that even MRI scans can't confirm cancer, they can just find lesions, which may or not be cancer.

Maybe the nasal symptoms such as sneezing suggests this?

One of my cats developed two 'lumps' under her nose in March, and the vets believed it was inflammation that may or may not go down (it hasn't, but no other symptoms).

What else did the vet say about your boy?
Mr Frisky I can't be sure and please forgive me if I'm wrong but this CBD pusher has replied to 5 different posts all by new members, when we haven't had that many new posts by new members in a month. I suspect the "problems" might also be from fake accounts just to give the troll a cue.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Maybe, I've mentioned it on another post.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If this is a genuine post, what treatment has been offered by the vet (if any) or further investigations (if any)?

The treatment of an abcess is usually relatively simple and the cat would have been given some kind of antibiotic for a start, as the standard is to go for a the least invasive and expensive option first if a definitive diagnosis can't be made and if there is no response to that, then look further.

Also it's wise to be cautious opening unknown links from strangers on forums. I don't, so sorry but I can't see your pictures. If you can maybe reduce them they should be able to fit in a post, one method is to screen shot your original picture which makes it much smaller, or there is a post on how to post pictures on the forum.
GrayWulfe94
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GrayWulfe94 »

Mollycat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:55 am If this is a genuine post, what treatment has been offered by the vet (if any) or further investigations (if any)?

The treatment of an abcess is usually relatively simple and the cat would have been given some kind of antibiotic for a start, as the standard is to go for a the least invasive and expensive option first if a definitive diagnosis can't be made and if there is no response to that, then look further.
Put the photos inline for you. The antibiotic was changed to Clavamox 1.0ml twice daily for seven days. He had given us the option of changing the antibiotic or increasing the prednisone to start. Again, not our regular doctor.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you. I am sorry for doubting you earlier, the spammer who has been removed just made 4 posts look very suspicious.

I see what you mean, but I'm puzzled as to the vet's confusion between an abscess and a tumour, even if it is mostly internal. I guess it would be easy for a cat to inhale something small that would cause a wound inside the nasal cavity and generate an abscess but I would have thought antibiotics first, if they don't work start investigating deeper. Any idea when you might be able to see your regular vet that you know and trust? Seems to me if a cancer is on the list of suspects there should be a detailed and honest discussion with you to make decisions about his care, the options available, tests, outcome, prognosis, risks and everything.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

My elderly cat, Pippin, had something similar. A long term slight sniffle from one nostril that did not resolve, then sudden bleeding from both that nostril and the adjacent tear duct with swelling under the eye. The vet thought it could be a tooth abscess, which would be confirmed if it responded to antibiotics; otherwise we were looking at something more sinister. Unfortunately it did not improve with the ABs, and the probable diagnosis was nasal lymphoma - his lymphatic gland was swollen and hard. Investigations to confirm the diagnosis would have been invasive and unpleasant for him, and would not have changed the treatment plan or the outcome - the obvious treatment was prednidale, but he was on long term meloxicom for severe arthritis so that was not possible. At 18, with other health issues, I did not even consider putting him through the rigours of radiotherapy, and a few weeks later he stopped eating and was so obviously in pain I made the hard decision to say goodbye. I hope the outcome is better for your cat, but it may be time for some difficult discussions and decisions.
GrayWulfe94
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GrayWulfe94 »

Mollycat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:00 am Thank you. I am sorry for doubting you earlier, the spammer who has been removed just made 4 posts look very suspicious.

I see what you mean, but I'm puzzled as to the vet's confusion between an abscess and a tumour, even if it is mostly internal. I guess it would be easy for a cat to inhale something small that would cause a wound inside the nasal cavity and generate an abscess but I would have thought antibiotics first, if they don't work start investigating deeper. Any idea when you might be able to see your regular vet that you know and trust? Seems to me if a cancer is on the list of suspects there should be a detailed and honest discussion with you to make decisions about his care, the options available, tests, outcome, prognosis, risks and everything.
Our reg vet owns the practice and has been the vet all of our cats have seen throughout the years. This Dr we saw must've been his fill in either he ws sick, day off, or away. Funnily enough our usual is an equine vet by trade. On the website under the one we saw it only lists where he's from and his educational background.

We have secured an appt January 5th to have Merlin seen at a practice that is feline only, and his medical records from past 2 years have also been sent over.
GrayWulfe94
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GrayWulfe94 »

fjm wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:27 am My elderly cat, Pippin, had something similar. A long term slight sniffle from one nostril that did not resolve, then sudden bleeding from both that nostril and the adjacent tear duct with swelling under the eye. The vet thought it could be a tooth abscess, which would be confirmed if it responded to antibiotics; otherwise we were looking at something more sinister. Unfortunately it did not improve with the ABs, and the probable diagnosis was nasal lymphoma - his lymphatic gland was swollen and hard. Investigations to confirm the diagnosis would have been invasive and unpleasant for him, and would not have changed the treatment plan or the outcome - the obvious treatment was prednidale, but he was on long term meloxicom for severe arthritis so that was not possible. At 18, with other health issues, I did not even consider putting him through the rigours of radiotherapy, and a few weeks later he stopped eating and was so obviously in pain I made the hard decision to say goodbye. I hope the outcome is better for your cat, but it may be time for some difficult discussions and decisions.
My condolences to you and your family. No such blood or abnormal colored discharge noted from eyes/nose/mouth, thankfully.
robertcpayne9
New Cat Chatter

Post by robertcpayne9 »

A veterinarian friend told me about a dog dewormer called fenbendazole that some people believe cured their cancer. It’s branded as Fenben LAB and can be ordered online.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The trouble with these miracle cures is they give false hope and prey on the most vulnerable.

For anyone who likes to research the facts, here's a bit of science: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580766/