Cat with COVID?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
randl23
New Cat Chatter

Cat with COVID?

Post by randl23 »

Hello! My family (3 out of 4) have all very recently shown symptoms of COVID. The symptoms have been mild (periodic sore throat, slight runny nose, diarrhea, etc.). All four of us have received both Pfizer vaccination shots (and had previously had COVID before about a year ago). We are all feeling normal this week.

However, for the past few days, our 7-year-old female cat has not been acting herself. More lethargic, eating less, etc. I'm sure it is quite likely that she caught COVID from us.

How should we move forward? I have read cats are more susceptible than dogs. Our cat was just at the vet about three weeks ago and given a clean bill of health. Is it recommended to take them to the vet for COVID? Should it run its course in the matter of a week or two?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat with COVID?

Post by Mollycat »

Interesting question, and my short answer is always ask your vet.

Interesting though because of a the very different information on the subject from the CDC (America) and DEFRA (UK) where CatChat and most not all members are based. The CDC appears to be saying "yeah this is common, isolate and test your pet as you would anyone else" while the UK has recorded ONE infected dog and reported it to the World Organization for Animal Health to add to their very short list of confirmed pet cases.

I sincerely hope nobody would ever dream of sticking swabs in their animal's mouth or up their nose, one false move could kill them and much more likely you would end up in A&E getting stitched up.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I too would call your vet. If it is Covid 19 it should be a mild illness, but the cat should be isolated from other animals, but it could, of course, be something else entirely, and your vet is best placed to advise you on what to watch for and whether she needs treatment.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/covid-19/pets.html
randl23
New Cat Chatter

Post by randl23 »

Good news! Took her to the vet last night. Blood work came back fine. No COVID, no UTI. Thinking it was just a change in her dry food. The place we get it at was out, so we went with another variety (actually three, after seeing she wasn't too fond of the first new one). She was dehydrated a bit; no temperature. So it looks like we just need to be patient. Oh, and her normal food is back in stock!