If we missed fvrcp booster, I don't quite want to start over with first shot again but unsure what to do

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
tortie adore
Frequent Cat Chatter

If we missed fvrcp booster, I don't quite want to start over with first shot again but unsure what to do

Post by tortie adore »

Hi, all. Love this forum. OK so I know no one can give med. advice but am curious re what has happened to others who may have missed giving booster on time.
I totally believe in vaccines but don't want to overvaccinate cats, who are indoor and have been since birth (in our house) and are perfectly fine.
Has anyone missed a fvrcp booster and what did you do?
W/one cat booster would be like 1.5 yrs after 1st shot and w/2nd it would be around 6 mos. -3/4 year after 1st shot.
Cats born mar '20.
I know the vets would just say to do the whole thing over again but I don't really know whether that's necessary.
Any input welcome.

This is an excellent site re not over-vaccinating by a vet who said that she measured titer of 3 or her cats just before they died at 18-20 years old for fvrcp and they all had enough in their system even though they hadn't been vaccinated since they were kittens. This vet seems to know what she is talking about!
https://catinfo.org/vaccines-for-cats-w ... ccinating/
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: If we missed fvrcp booster, I don't quite want to start over with first shot again but unsure what to do

Post by alanc »

Some years ago now (probably about 20) I missed one of my cats booster shots due to some reason or other I do not recall now. She just had the normal booster about half a year later than she should have done according to the strict yearly programme. No problem and Vet said it did not matter.
Tilly was a month late in 2020 due to Covid making it difficult to get an appointment - again no problem.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: If we missed fvrcp booster, I don't quite want to start over with first shot again but unsure what to do

Post by Kay »

I think it's fairly common knowledge that yearly boosters aren't really needed, but if you are likely to need to use a cattery then it's probable they would insist on annual vaccs
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My indoor cats are not and never would be vaccinated. But you should be disciplined and have them checked by a vet at least every year, more as they get older (I don't, I just know I should) and annual boosters are one good way to ensure we don't forget.

My last three free roaming cats that came to us more or less uninvited were never vaccinated either - that I would not recommend of course, I'm not sure quite how that happened but it was something to do with never really feeling we "owned" them - one died in her sleep very old blind and senile having beaten skin cancer, the second was sadly 14 when he was struck down with a mouth tumour, and the third was put to sleep last year at the age of 23 having not seen a vet in 12 years. It was wrong of us not to vaccinate these, even if they never caught anything, but it does illustrate that depending where you live letting one slide might not be the instant death sentence some would have you believe.