Cat litter (including Tigerino query)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
richardbajor
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat litter (including Tigerino query)

Post by richardbajor »

We have an elderly cat (going to be 21 around end of April) and on plenty of meds for IBS (possibly cancer but being diagnosed with one of the two nearly a year ago I'm leaning towards IBS) and Hyperactive thyroid. Controlled as best as possible but plenty of drinking and weeing on a regular basis.

I finally found a cat litter that works very well for me. The Tigerino crystals Fresh clumping (very fine silicate) that really does clump up any wee and makes it easy to shovel out that bit of the litter tray and replace small amounts each time as compared to the standard silicate where I'm changing the litter tray every 3 or 4 days because the wee is mostly going to the bottom on the tray and probably no so pleasant for the cat. I have tried a wood based clumping but any clumping is not obvious so far so I'm not sure if or where to remove any of the litter.

All good except that this product has been out of stock for a while everywhere apart from one on ebay at £24 (and similar on Amazon 3rd party) when it normally costs about £5/£6 I think. So my questions are:

- Does anyone know if Tigerino have delivery/import problems to the UK and whether this is getting resolved any time soon- a lot of their products seem out of stock? Wilkos are also out of the silicate that I used to use and hasn't been in for months now so not sure if there is a general silicate issue or not.

- Is there an alternative fine clumping silicate that might do the same job or do the clay type things do a similar job?

I assume silicate is not especially environmentally friendly but where my cat is concerned I want the best I can get for her at her time of life.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat litter (including Tigerino query)

Post by fjm »

I tried fine clay for cats with CKD who were producing copious quantities of urine. It turned into a soggy mess that stuck to the tray like cement - I would not recommend it. I found the wood granules more successful, particularly Cats Best Original Clumping, which clumped reasonably well if the tray was well filled with litter.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I have been using Pets at Home Ultra Performance Clumping clay, which has supply issues (as well as staff understanding the difference between 3 similar products issues) but does a grand job even with two indoor cats producing large volumes of fluid. Fed up of the issues and not willing to compromise quality (Antibac Clumping) or accept lavender scent (Ultra Freshness) with the added bonus of better availability, I went Catsan Clumping. Finer (sandier) and so far seems to perform better beyond the extra price.

I do have a suggestion though, don't know if it would work, puppy pads in the bottom of the tray maybe?
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

I use Worlds Best non scented cat litter.
The size I buy and get delivered from Amazon is 28 lbs, (12.70 kg) and costs around £30
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Worlds-Best-Ca ... r=8-3&th=1
BUT it lasts for absolutely ages. They say on the pack that it will last 120 days for 1 cat. That is 0.25p per day.

To make a comparison Tigerino Fresh Clumping costs £15.89 for 5 litres from Amazon**
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tigerino-Cryst ... 450&sr=8-5 ) and lasts for 1 cat approx.1 month, (according to the zooplus website) that is nearly 0.52p per day.
So, Worlds Best is much cheaper, It isn't dusty as it's made from maize kernels, it is very slightly rough, extremely good at absorbing and clumping, it's environmentally friendly and it can be flushed down the toilet in small quantities.

**Zooplus website prices it at £5.49 but it is currently unavailable until mid April
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat ... ate/502647
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm also a user of Worlds Best now, my preferred one was Siria, but that isn't available any longer, so I tried Amazons own brand which is very similar to Worlds Best, but slightly course grained and then moved on to Worlds Best as the price is about the same. The only difference is that I use the Red Bag for multicat households as I have 3 cats, not sure if there is any difference, but it seemed a good option. While it isn't silica based it might be worth a try if you can't get your preferred option.
I will also mention that I have a 19 year old cat with kidney and bladder problems and it handles what she produces very well.
Thank you for reminding me, I need to go on Amazon and order some more as well.
richardbajor
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by richardbajor »

Thanks you for all your suggestions- I think the Mollycat suggestion sounds like it might be best for my/my cat's circumstances but will move onto the others if that doesn't work as well as I hope it might. Hoping that Tigerino come back though as was working very well even if there was a lot of scraping the litter tray when doing a full clean.