Heart failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tash
New Cat Chatter

Heart failure

Post by Tash »

My lovely boy has been diagnosed with heart failure. Tash is 15 and a gentle loving cat. He has been poorly for a few weeks and vet suspected viral infection so sent him off with antibiotics and fluids. Seemed to perk up for 5 days. Last Sunday I got up and he could barely breath. Rushed him to another vet open out of hours who ran tests and confirmed heart failure. He had to have his lungs drained of fluid. Now on fortekor once a day and frusol. Seems a lot happier and alert. I am petrified of a set back. The vet said he could have weeks or months if optimistic. His heart rate has gone down a lot to 23 beats per minute and he is eating plenty and getting his meds in his food. He is better than I have seen him in a month but I am beside myself with worry. I can’t stop staring at him to check things are still alright and he isn’t in distress. How do I know? Tash is my baby boy and I am struggling to handle this. I just can’t lose him yet xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Heart failure

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear about this diagnosis. I lost a cat to heart failure (the puss in my avatar). It's always hard when you hear bad news like this. All you can do is keep giving him the medications the vet suggested and just spoil him rotten, and enjoy the time you have with him. At least with this condition it's largely pain free, they just get more tired and weak. Lily was content even up to her last day, but her back legs kept giving out and I knew it was time. You will know with your boy too. I hope the new meds will buy you lots of quality time, which they may do. Just take each day as it comes and give him lots of love. Try not to show your distress too much, as he may feel unsettled by this. But most of all, don't guilt trip yourself. This happens to all our loved ones eventually, and ti sounds like you're doing the best that can be done for him.

Sending you a hug. We all know how tough this can be, but enjoy the good times with him.