Thyronorm

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HollieBee
New Cat Chatter

Thyronorm

Post by HollieBee »

Hi there,

My fur baby has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and I have been given Thyronorm to give her twice a day. I just wonder if any of you lovely lot know anything about the effects on humans as in is it safe, on reading the leaflet it says not administer to the cat if you are pregnant or of child bearing age, I did phone my vet but they said they has not heard anything about it. Thanks in advance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Thyronorm

Post by fjm »

From the DEFRA product information database:
"As thiamazole is a suspected human teratogen, women of child-bearing age must wear non-permeable single-use gloves when administering the product or handling the litter/vomit of treated cats.
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are attempting to conceive, you should not administer the product or handle the litter/vomit of treated cats."
https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinf ... 997438.PDF

Thiamazole is the active ingredient in Thyronorm. This means that there is a possibility that the drug, if absorbed through the skin by a pregnant woman, could cause birth defects in her baby. Your vet should be able to provide you with suitable gloves, or you could buy a box as you are likely to need plenty. There are alternative treatments if you are or may become pregnant and there is no one else to manage the thyronorm. They range from a special diet to radio iodine treatment - highly recommended if you can afford it or have insurance that will cover it.
HollieBee
New Cat Chatter

Post by HollieBee »

Thanks for your reply and help, nearly at the end of my child bearing years so not looking to get pregnant. She is 13 but the radio Iodine treatment does look like something to consider as trying to get her to take the medicine twice a day is proving rather tricky.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

A few of us here have been through the radioiodine treatment, including my Molly 3 years ago, and we are not insured so had to find it ourselves, but no regrets.

If you're not keen or it's difficult to administer, there is one more temporary alternative while you wait for radioiodine, it's an ultra low iodine food made by Hills that must be given strictly exclusively. My girl is absolutely not medicatable but luckily she loved the food so she was happy for 5 months on it.
HollieBee
New Cat Chatter

Post by HollieBee »

Thank you for your reply, like you Hollie isn’t insured so we would have to fund it ourselves. She hasn’t been too bad at taking the medicine the last couple of times but not sure how long she will let us do it for. She’s very fussy so not sure about the food but worth a try, she’s due back at the vets in a couple of weeks for a blood test to see how the medicine has worked, hopefully it will have🤞I shall mention other alternatives to the vet then .