Why does my cat KEEP pooping on the carpet?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Why does my cat KEEP pooping on the carpet?

Post by charlinton »

I'm running out of ideas for how to stop my cat from pooping on the carpet. She's a rescue and is about 3 or 4 years old. We've had her for almost 2 years. We have one other male cat who we got a couple of months after her, they get on just fine. For the first year her litterbox habits were great, but suddenly she started pooping on the carpet. It's not always in the same spot, but it's always around the same corner of the room. I feel like I've tried everything:
- We have 3 litter trays, one covered and two uncovered. The trays are on both levels of the house. I have seen her use these for both pee and poop.
- I have tried different types of litter.
- I clean the tray regularly.
- I clean the carpet with enzyme cleaner every time she poops there. She still poops in the same area.
- I got the carpet professionally cleaned. She still pooped on it.
- I sprayed apple cider vinegar around the area. She still pooped on it.
- I put aluminum foil in the spots she poops. She poops next to it.
- I put a litter tray in the spot she poops, She pooped next to it.
- I got her checked out by the vet. She did have some dental work done, but is otherwise healthy.

The only thing that seemed to stop this behavior was when she was recovering from dental surgery and wore a harness and cone for 2 weeks (harness helped secure the cone). She didn't poop on the carpet once! As soon as the cone came off, she pooped on the carpet again.

Anyone have any other ideas I could try?! I'm desperate.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Why does my cat KEEP pooping on the carpet?

Post by Mollycat »

Is this the same cat with the yowling problem? Did you ever solve that one? Did this start around the same time?

Can you describe what the two cats are like together, I know it sounds silly but how do you know they get on well together?
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Yes, it's the same one! She still yowls every now and then, but it's improved a lot. The pooping issue did not start around the same time. She's always yowled, but only started pooping outside the tray after about a year of being with us.

I work from home, so am around both cats all day. They are not super close, but they never hiss or growl at each other. They nap next to each other on the bed or couch and they play together sometimes - mainly just chasing each other around. They eat next to each other with no issues. We did get our second cat after Olive (the pooper), but they lived together happily for about 9 months before the pooping on the carpet started.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try a tray containing potting compost, in case it's something in cat litter she doesn't like

it's cheap enough and easy to dispose of outside
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If she always goes in the same corner of the room, would it be possible to put a litter tray in that corner for her to see if she would use one there.

Another thought is, I am assuming they are not allowed out from the way you talk, could it be that she is seeing another cat outside and feeling the need to mark her territory as a form of insecurity. If you have any windows at ground level where she can come eye to eye with a cat outside it might be worth blocking those for a bit to see if it makes any difference. I'm just wondering if the cone meant she couldn't see around her quite as well so didn't pick up on other cats outside.

The other thing to look for is passive aggressive behaviour from your other cat. Cats can appear to get on, no obvious aggression or fighting, eating and sleeping together, but it is possible for one cat to act in a controlling manner, blocking access to areas. This is something i have to deal with as my own lad will do it to the girls. His favourite spot is across the top of the stairs, which means that if the others are upstairs they can't get down, or if they are downstairs they can't get up without having to run his furry gauntlet. It may not look much, and all he does whenthey run past is a gentle paw waved at them, but they are still having to try and get passed him and i can see when they are reluctant to do so.

Finally, and i'm sure you have already thought of this, what is the consistency of any solids she produces, are they nicely formed, firm but not overly hard, or are they loose, or the opposite, small hard nuggets, either could indicate a medical problem, and if she is in pain when she goes and associate the litter box with pain she will try and find somewhere else to go. If it is either case, then it would certainly be worth a trip to the vets, possibly taking a sample with you for them to check over.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It does sound more like a psychological issue than a litter box one to me.

Where she does it - is it near to the front or back door? Near a window, or the doorbell, or some electrical item that makes noise or signals something about to happen? It it a strategic position where the other cat likes to be or needs to go past? Was there a change or move around of furniture? Is there a scratch post nearby or has one been removed?

In relation to the other cat, does one or the other ever sit very deliberately with their back to the other, does one ever roll on its back near the other and shuffle towards them, while the other moves away? Do you know if the carpet poops happen at a particular time of day or when a certain activity is happening in the house or outside? Bin lorry for example, shower time, someone walking dogs past? When you are having cuddles with the other cat maybe?
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Kay wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm you could try a tray containing potting compost, in case it's something in cat litter she doesn't like

it's cheap enough and easy to dispose of outside
Never heard of that idea - I'll give it a try! She does use the tray for peeing and sometimes for pooping, so I'm not sure if the litter is an issue.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:30 pm It does sound more like a psychological issue than a litter box one to me.

Where she does it - is it near to the front or back door? Near a window, or the doorbell, or some electrical item that makes noise or signals something about to happen? It it a strategic position where the other cat likes to be or needs to go past? Was there a change or move around of furniture? Is there a scratch post nearby or has one been removed?

In relation to the other cat, does one or the other ever sit very deliberately with their back to the other, does one ever roll on its back near the other and shuffle towards them, while the other moves away? Do you know if the carpet poops happen at a particular time of day or when a certain activity is happening in the house or outside? Bin lorry for example, shower time, someone walking dogs past? When you are having cuddles with the other cat maybe?
She does it in our basement room, which is pretty quiet. The litter trays are also down there but in a non-carpeted utility room. There is a washing machine in there, but I've made an effort to check if the pooping happens when the machine is on and that doesn't seem to have any effect. We haven't moved the furniture much. We did start storing a stationary bike in the corner where she was pooping hoping that would block it, but she just pooped next to it.

Not noticed any of the behaviors you mention with the other cat. If anything, she provokes him more than the other way round. I can't pin down any event or timeframe for the pooping. Sometime sit happens at night as I'll see it in the morning, sometimes during the day. She tried doing it when I was sitting on a couch nearby one time, which I thought was very odd.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:14 am If she always goes in the same corner of the room, would it be possible to put a litter tray in that corner for her to see if she would use one there.

Another thought is, I am assuming they are not allowed out from the way you talk, could it be that she is seeing another cat outside and feeling the need to mark her territory as a form of insecurity. If you have any windows at ground level where she can come eye to eye with a cat outside it might be worth blocking those for a bit to see if it makes any difference. I'm just wondering if the cone meant she couldn't see around her quite as well so didn't pick up on other cats outside.

The other thing to look for is passive aggressive behaviour from your other cat. Cats can appear to get on, no obvious aggression or fighting, eating and sleeping together, but it is possible for one cat to act in a controlling manner, blocking access to areas. This is something i have to deal with as my own lad will do it to the girls. His favourite spot is across the top of the stairs, which means that if the others are upstairs they can't get down, or if they are downstairs they can't get up without having to run his furry gauntlet. It may not look much, and all he does whenthey run past is a gentle paw waved at them, but they are still having to try and get passed him and i can see when they are reluctant to do so.

Finally, and i'm sure you have already thought of this, what is the consistency of any solids she produces, are they nicely formed, firm but not overly hard, or are they loose, or the opposite, small hard nuggets, either could indicate a medical problem, and if she is in pain when she goes and associate the litter box with pain she will try and find somewhere else to go. If it is either case, then it would certainly be worth a trip to the vets, possibly taking a sample with you for them to check over.
Tried putting a litter tray there and she just pooped on the floor next to it.

Our other cat is more passive than she is, and I have never seen him being territorial or blocking her access to anything.

Poops all look normal to me and she has been to the vet recently.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

charlinton wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:44 pm If anything, she provokes him more than the other way round.
She tried doing it when I was sitting on a couch nearby one time, which I thought was very odd.
Ok this is still a big clue, she was there first and you got the boy after, is that right?

If she is acting a bit territorial and provoking him, it could be a protest against him, and one time you were sitting nearby might support this idea.

Did she start out being a bit maternal towards the new cat? Momma cats will drive their kittens away when they grow up, especially boys, whereas girls can form extended family groups in feral colonies. I'm wondering if her instinct is to send him out to make his own way in the world, maybe?

Is this corner special to the other cat in some way? Is it maybe the deepest point inside the house farthest from all the exits?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It definitely sounds to me like either she doesn't like the litter you are using, and you have mentioned you tried different types, but it might be worth trying more, even as far as putting down several trays each filled with a different type of litter, to see if there is one she obviously prefers. Or it is territorial marking by her. it might be worth getting a UV torch if you haven't one already and just checking she isn't marking by spraying as well
The final option is the expensive one, ask your vet for a referral to a cat behaviourist, a professional that visits might be able to spot some behaviour from one or both of your cats, that neither you nor us can. They might also be able to come up with new ways that can help stop it, it sounds like you have already tried the obvious options.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Mollycat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:05 pm
charlinton wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:44 pm If anything, she provokes him more than the other way round.
She tried doing it when I was sitting on a couch nearby one time, which I thought was very odd.
Ok this is still a big clue, she was there first and you got the boy after, is that right?

If she is acting a bit territorial and provoking him, it could be a protest against him, and one time you were sitting nearby might support this idea.

Did she start out being a bit maternal towards the new cat? Momma cats will drive their kittens away when they grow up, especially boys, whereas girls can form extended family groups in feral colonies. I'm wondering if her instinct is to send him out to make his own way in the world, maybe?

Is this corner special to the other cat in some way? Is it maybe the deepest point inside the house farthest from all the exits?
Yes, we got the boy about 2 months after her. The shelter we got her from said she got on well with boy cats better and might benefit from a companion. She has never acted maternal towards him and we were told she had never had kittens.

Hmm I don't think the corner is special to the other cat. It's on the same wall as the back door, so not far from an exit. He doesn't spend any time there as far as I can tell.

When she provokes him it looks to me more like she wants to play, but I am no expert! Her "provoking" is generally followed by some chasing around and then sometimes wrestling. They normally get bored of this within about 10 mins and then go back to leaving each other alone.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by charlinton »

Ruth B wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:21 pm It definitely sounds to me like either she doesn't like the litter you are using, and you have mentioned you tried different types, but it might be worth trying more, even as far as putting down several trays each filled with a different type of litter, to see if there is one she obviously prefers. Or it is territorial marking by her. it might be worth getting a UV torch if you haven't one already and just checking she isn't marking by spraying as well
The final option is the expensive one, ask your vet for a referral to a cat behaviourist, a professional that visits might be able to spot some behaviour from one or both of your cats, that neither you nor us can. They might also be able to come up with new ways that can help stop it, it sounds like you have already tried the obvious options.
Good idea, I'll try getting hold of a UV torch. I've thought about the behaviorist, but was worried about the expense. I also thought about removed the carpet and replacing with wooden floor like the rest of the house. But this is a last resort!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The back door could be important. If another cat or something else hangs around outside and it feels threatening to her home, she could be marking her territory. Or, as other research has shown with urine marking, it can be just to say "Hi I'm here" and not necessarily with "so keep away"
charlinton wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:54 pm Good idea, I'll try getting hold of a UV torch. I've thought about the behaviorist, but was worried about the expense. I also thought about removed the carpet and replacing with wooden floor like the rest of the house. But this is a last resort!
I know many people love the hard flooring for easy cleaning but take a word of warning, slippery floors can cause joint injuries, and as someone who has been through the expense and stress of a dog with a busted cruciate ligament recently, not in our case due a slippery floors but often is, I just urge careful thought on that one.

Did you always have wooden floors in the rest of the house, before you got the cats?