Are cats very quiet on antibiotics? - nasty bite to tail

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Are cats very quiet on antibiotics? - nasty bite to tail

Post by Jacks »

My precious Lara was obviously attacked by a cat when she was out all night on Monday-Tuesday. I took her to the vet yesterday when I realised something was wrong and she was cleaning the tail and leaving a trail of blood. It had started to get infected and is really quiet nasty - you can see the row of teeth. She is on antibiotics and yesterday evening was brighter after a pain killing injection. Today however she is very subdued and quiet - not herself at all. She has eaten, and is not growling when you touch her tail, but she's lying on the floor or sitting under furniture.

Does anyone have experience with infected bite wounds and whether cats are quieter than normal when they are on antibiotics? She had an injection to last her two weeks as it's important she doesn't miss any doses. Any experience on this would be welcome as cats can't tell you how they feel other than by their behaviour.

I have phoned the vet, and the vet nurse will ring me back when she's had a word with him, as he said to bring her back if I was worried - but I've no experience of what to expect.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Are cats very quiet on antibiotics? - nasty bite to tail

Post by meriad »

My Jamie came in last week Tuesday morning and wasn't herself at all so I took her to the vet. We don't know what happened as we can't see a bite mark but suspect she must have had a run in with something.

She had quite a high temp and was given an AB shot and pain relief and I was told to bring her back the following evening (Wednesday). That Tuesday evening when I got home she was as active as ever and the appointment on Wednesday evening showed that temperature was right down back to normal and she was - as a precaution - given another 2 week acting AB injection. I think that first fast acting (but not long lasting) AB injection made a big difference to Jamie and we were lucky to catch whatever it was before it could get worse.

I would suspect that, given the extent of her infection, your Laura is still running a bit of a temperature hence being a bit more subdued. To be honest, if it were one of mine I probably would err on the side of caution and take her back; if for no other reason that they can probably also give her another shot of pain relief - she must be sore
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think meriad is right. It is the infection that is causing Lara to be so quiet and subdued. AB tablets can upset tummies (just like us humans) but we have not had any experience of injections doing the same.

Gracie has had 2 similar episodes with abscesses due to being whacked on the bum. (She brings it on herself by winding-up the others until they respond by whacking her! :roll:) She is quite bumptious by nature, so we can always tell when something is wrong - she goes very quiet.
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andrea8411 »

My cats also goes very quiet when he is not well and in pain. It sounds as if he is in pain and need some meds, I would most certainly go back to the vets.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor Lara. I agree with the others, I suspect it's still very sore and the painkiller has worn off - I remember my old Spook was the same when she had an infected bite on her cheek.

Sorry - I'm just catching up - if you've not done so already and she's still the same, I'd go back for more pain relief for her.

Hope she's feeling better soon. xx