10 day old kittens- odor, look, mama ?s

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
BexD
New Cat Chatter

10 day old kittens- odor, look, mama ?s

Post by BexD »

Hello fellow cat lovers! My kitty has become a mom and seems to be pretty stellar and quite protective. Her kittens are about 10 days old and it seems most or all eyes are now open. Hard to tell since she’s moved them a few times after her brother found her den. Or maybe she just didn’t like us checking in now and then? I’m not sure, but we’re giving privacy while still trying to check to make sure all is well. I’ve noticed a pretty gross smell from them. Makes sense. They poop. But even after they’re all cleaned up and she leaves them huddled together sleeping, there’s like this wet dog odor and they look kind of greasy. It’s similar for her. I assume it’s in part hormones and cleaning related, but I’m not sure. I’m also sensitive and detail oriented, so I notice things some maybe don’t. Of course, all I can find online, associated with that odor, is a rare and serious autoimmune disorder. Well, I’m going with, “not that”, and talking myself off a ledge! Is it normal for nursing, sleeping, pooping, peeing, getting licked clean kittens to smell and look a bit funky until they begin to move more? Also, is it normal for some to sometimes keep their mouth open and kind of pant? It’s not constant but I’m not sure if it means they need something. Any help would be great!! Also, I’m not sure if I chose the right category for this. My first time here. Thank you so much! Gratefully, BexD