Hairball issue or something else?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
RockyWins
New Cat Chatter

Hairball issue or something else?

Post by RockyWins »

Hi, my 13-year old cat Pickle has been infrequently doing a weird coughing-type thing where it sounds like a phlegmy cough but it is pretty disturbing because she never used to do it. I took her to my vet and she suspected it was a hairball issue so she gave me a product to increase her ability to get rid of hairballs. So far she's gotten rid of some hairballs but is still occasionally doing this. I finally got it on 2 videos:
https://tinyurl.com/bdzhu8ne
and https://tinyurl.com/43znbare

Wonder if anyone has had any experience with something like this? Thanks.
RockyWins
New Cat Chatter

Re: Hairball issue or something else?

Post by RockyWins »

I just realized the links were not working :( but now they are! :)

Thanks for any help.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I'm really sorry I don't click unknown links from people I don't know on forums, but is Pickle crouching low to the ground with elbows sticking up neck extended out and chin near the ground, coughing and swaying her head slowly from side to side?

Also does she get weepy eyes with a red-brown tint that makes crusty little bits in the corners of her eyes when they dry?
macka
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by macka »

Took one for the team and clicked on the links, so they are safe. For anyone curious, they lead to two unlisted youtube videos of showing the kitty with aforementioned symptoms, while the kitty is doing a relaxed cat loaf pose on a bed or couch.

Anyway, sorry op, had to get that out of the way, in case there are other folks who are curious but scared to click the link!

Now my 2 cents: to me it looks like a hairball issue. It's similar to what my cats would be doing as well, when they would feel irritation from the hair and all that. Of course however, keep monitoring your cat and if you are worried- call the vet! Better to check and be safe, than to be sorry.

Like if it happens once or twice in several months, I wouldn't think much of it, but if it's happening on a constant daily or weekly basis then I would go to the vet.

Hope this helps!